Quote Originally Posted by Krazzman View Post
I might write some stories out later.
And here is one. The reason I dislike GURPS:

A few years ago one of our more "powergamey" friends wanted to try out the GURPS system. Together with me the two other guys usually DMing and another friend of us wanted to play.

It was said we do a Medievil Supernatural (yes the TV-show) Monsterhunt type of game. As the First season aired recently in Germany and we all were basically hooked for it we agreed.

It began with the Charactergeneration. One guy made an austrian or swiss tinkerer. He was short, more gnomy in stature but was an engineer and build quite some funny stuff (The galloppo 3000 was our vehicle he fixed out of 3 different carts/wagons we nearly destroyed in our first few hours together).
The second one was playing a Magician/Exorzist/Priest type of character, he tried to warn the "driver" of the cart in front of him because of something... with a fireball to the hat. The third one was an Greedy scottish(?) lord, that could use a gun (rifle) and was a Medium although not the brightest bulb in the lamp.
We were all under a Code of Honor... which I understood as Coat of Honor for which I was laughed at quite some many times... became a running gag and well it was fun.
Now to my Character. I being entirely new to a Point-Based system wanted to be a "Shield-Blader". This was basically a guy fighting with either 2 weapons or weapon and shield and enhance this magically. Basically being a Paladin without the healing stuff. Now my story was being raised by church and so on and well due to the nature of the system I failed miserably. The DM helped me but at we came to "magic stuff" I wanted to do I was told nope you don't have any points left and... I already took a disadvantage (monotone voice, dunno if I needed the points or just for fun) and could only play a guy fighting with 2 baselards. Since now the whole spiritual part of my character was missing... I couldn't use my backstory and since I suck at improv... the backstory was some point of comedy again (went for orphan raised by some swordmaster dude...).

The campaign itself was more or less Medium + Exorcist doing stuff, Engineer and me getting dragged along. The Engineer would build stuff and I basically just helped our wagon to not crash... I was already quite down because my character idea couldn't be done but that was it. We tried out gurps later once more with a few other guys but I don't recall really liking it.