1. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: [Monster]Qupqugiaq: a ten-legged polar bear with a mean streak (P.E.A.C.H.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheiromancer View Post
    This is fantastic!

Kudos to SuperDave for the original post, and many, many thanks to Debihuman for the superb craftsmanship and rules-fu displayed in fine-tuning it.
    You are most welcome. I'm just glad SuperDave gave me such a great a platform to play on. However, I was a doofus and left off cold immunity on the young qupqugiaq. I've also added a bit about age. The stat block is (finally) correct now.

So I figured I'd work on the cub. This is a work in progress for now so I'm keeping it in a spoiler until I get SuperDave's feedback. And Please let me if I made any errors here too.

Qupqugiaq, Cub
    Medium Magical Beast
    Hit Dice: 11d10+22 (82 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares), swim 40 ft.
    Armor Class: 16 (+1 Dex, +5 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+17
    Attack: Claw+18 melee (1d4+6)
    Full Attack: 6 claws +18 melee (1d4+6) and bite +12 melee (1d6+3)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Improved grab, rend
    Special Qualities: Can’t be tripped, cowardly, darkvision 60 ft., ice and snow walking, immunity to cold, low-light vision, scent
    Saves: Fort +9, Ref +8, Will +4
    Abilities: Str 23, Dex 13 Con 15, Int 5, Wis 12, Cha 10
    Skills: Hide +4* (+16 in snowy areas), Listen +7, Spot +7, Swim +9
    Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Run, Weapon Focus (claw)
    Environment: Cold plains
    Organization: Always with mother
    Challenge Rating: 8
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: Special
    Level Adjustment:

Small qupqugiaq cubs are born blind and nearly hairless. Newborn qupqugiaq cubs are unable to survive without their mothers, often dying in less than 24 hours, as they do not have the cold immunity. Immunity to cold is gained about 3 months of age, which is also when they attain Medium size and can leave the den with their mothers. Cub are weaned when they are a year old and are finally able to leave their dens alone, though they rarely venture far unsupervised. Younger cubs are never encountered outside the den.

These stats are typical for the oldest cubs, from 1 to 2 years old, as younger cubs are too fiercely guarded to be encountered alone.

Older qupqugiaqs are juveniles and use young qupqugiaq stats until full-grown.

A qupqugiaq cub can carry 300 lbs. or less as a light load, 301-600 lbs. as a medium load, and 601 to 900 lbs. as a heavy load.

While it is theoretically possible to raise an orphaned qupqugiaq cub in captivity, they are too fierce and independent for races smaller than Large size to manage. Frost giants sometimes take in stray and wounded qupqugiaq cubs to train as guards, using a constant supply of food and threat of rock throwing to keep them in line. The arrangement is generally short-lived as even frost giants are wary of full-sized qupqugiaqs. As a result, many qupqugiaqs react rather favorably towards frost giants.

Combat

At first sign of danger, qupqugiaq cubs run away. They only attack if they are threatened cannot escape. Their cries attract their mothers and any other adult qupqugiaqs in the area.

Cowardly (Ex): Qupqugiaq cubs are notoriously cowardly and run at the first sign of danger. They take a -2 morale penalty to attack creatures that are larger than they are. This is a natural fear effect.

Hold Breath (Ex): A qupqugiaq cub can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to four times its Constitution score before it risks drowning.

Ice and Snow Walking (Ex): A qupqugiaq cub can walk on ice and snow as easily as land and is not slowed by even deep drifts. It never has to make Balance checks to walk on ice and snow.

Improved Grab (Ex): If a qupqugiaq cub hits with its claw, it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. No initial touch attack is required. Because of its many claws, it takes no penalty to hold its opponent while making a grapple check. If it wins the grapple check, it deals normal damage. When a qupqugiaq cub gets a hold after an improved grab attack, it pulls a Small or smaller opponent into its space. This act does not provoke attacks of opportunity. It can even move (possibly carrying away the opponent), provided it can drag the opponent’s weight.

Rend (Ex): If a young qupqugiaq hits with 2 or more claw attacks, it can choose to latch onto the opponent’s body and tear the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional 1d4+3 points of damage for each claw that hits.

Scent (Ex): A young qupqugiaq can detect opponents within 30 feet. The exact location is not revealed unless the creature is within 5 feet.

Skills: A qupqugiaq cub has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

A young qupqugiaq’s white coat bestows a +12 racial bonus on Hide checks in snowy areas. This bonus is noted in the creature's statistic block. If it is motionless while hiding, its bonus increases to +20.

EDIT: I think it is complete.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2013-07-29 at 06:02 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread