Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
For me? Me personally? I won't lose an ounce of sleep if I hear tomorrow that the last stockpiles have been eradicated off the face of the earth. In fact, I will raise a beverage of choice.

I have zero qualms over that, by the way. I thought over this a few years ago and I am quite comfortable with that position.
I have not personally actually made a decision as to whether or not I think it is a good or right thing to eliminate the last stocks of smallpox virus.

But, pertaining to the above, since the only actual practical difference between eradicating the disease in the wild and destroying those last stockpiles is a almost immeasurably small change in the possible risk of dangers in the future (to which the same probabilistic arguments that you dismissed when used in the other direction in an earlier post apply), such that there is in fact no immediate, demonstrable, direct difference whatsoever, to what are you raising that beverage to?

What are you celebrating?

Why do you take pleasure in the thought that a virus, already rendered completely harmless, inert and contained, is finally totally destroyed?

Is that not simply an instinct for revenge against the virus, for all the deaths it caused in the past?

Remember, the last surviving stockpiles of virus are contained, neutered, helpless, confined. No more dangerous than a murder caught, jailed, straightjacketed and dumped in solitary confinement for the rest of his life.

And the technology already exists to reconstruct the virus from its gene sequence, which is already known, so even if those stockpiles are destroyed, that doesn't mean that the virus is guaranteed to be eliminated forever.