View Single Post

Thread: Sociopathy in Order of the Stick

1. - Top - End - #72
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Sociopathy in Order of the Stick

Maybe, with Belkar arguably having extreme Lack Of Empathy for most of the strip (and the trait "Has No Regard for Other People's Right To Exist") - he qualified - but he's beginning to grow some empathy now, so is not so close a match?
    Well, I can't remember Belkar's more heinous deeds at the moment, but I suppose he qualified at one time, sure. But at the same time, his actions towards the party have always been a bit askew of being an actual psychopath, which I mentioned earlier. In that, since even as far back as No Cure for the Paladin Blues, he's done things... or more importantly, REFRAINED from doing things... that reflect a sort of loyalty (something a psychopath wouldn't share). You sort of have to fill in the spaces yourself, but over the long term you have to wonder if all of Belkar's claims of only being in it for the money and the thrills add up, and this was possibly at issue even BEFORE meeting Mr. Scruffy.

Yes, he kills without compulsion... heck, he kills INNOCENTS without compulsion... but he keeps on keeping on within the OOTS, you know. And says things where, underneath it all, he's GOT to know the emotional value.

For instance, his speech to Roy over Durkon's Death... maybe I'm in the minority, but I think he was in such a place to give Roy that sort of speech as far back as War and XPs. I think events have just made it more apparent things that were already there.

I think the most proper thing for Belkar is that, if he doesn't know you, he has NO regard for you whatsoever. If you do know him, he'll enjoy tormenting you for a laugh.

But if you know him very well and he respects you, he actually WILL start to care. Just don't expect him to ever admit it. And be ready for V to try and convince you otherwise if you ever bring up the gap between Belkar's persona and the actual positive results of his actions, which I doubt he's as ignorant of as he pretends.
    Last edited by Nilan8888; 2013-10-16 at 11:51 AM.
    What shall we do to fill the empty spaces
    Where waves of hunger gnaw?