Mikael places the scarf on his shoulders, kneeling to pick up pieces of the pen and the other items as he listens. "... I understand why you feel that way. But does it occur to you that is how a soul must feel a moment before it becomes a Hollow?"

Mikael pockets the items and straightens up. "I've been thinking about it... when I first saw a Hollow, the kind without a mask, I thought it was like me. That we were of the same species. I was informed I was wrong, but I do think our kind, you and me, are similar to them in many ways."

"A Hollow's mask... that which gives it its power... is a remnant of its heart. As almost anyone could become a Hollow, this implies the heart of even the plainest human contains a great deal of power. But for some reason, it isn't ordinarily available. A trigger is needed, for it to manifest himself. And I theorize the answer lies in suffering."

Mikael takes off his shades and hangs them from the chest pocket of his uniform. "I admit my sample population is a bit small in this regard, but no-one with abilities seems to have led what I would call a happy life. Think about it. Hasunaga-sensei is a war veteran, with all the horrors that implies. Your friend Chuck had his family attacked by Hollows. You, obviously have your issues. I don't know about the rest... but I think the point has been made."

Mikael pats the scarf. "You probably know the saying. 'What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.' And to an extent, it is true - hardship and your ties to the world, can be a source of strenght. But only if you learn from them. Only if you don't let them overcome you."

"Because even if something doesn't kill you, it might leave you broken and crippled. Inability to let go of things you hold dear will turn them into obsessions, and that way leads to madness. You must remember what I said earlier." Mikael points at Tamaki.

"The difference between you and a common Hollow is not in your morals. It is not in your powers. In almost every respect, you are just one feeble step away from becoming one. The difference is that you are still alive. You can take a step back and choose differently. Choose to let go, choose to forgive."

"I don't fault you for thinking you might not be able to do that. If anything, it shows a healthy degree of humility. There's a reason forgiveness is held in such high regard. It is not easy. It is always easier to hold a grudge. It is always easier to meet violence with more violence, evil with more evil. In a way, it is fair too. But if you think 'eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth' is the highest paradigm, you will soon end up in a world where everyone is blind and toothless."