View Single Post

Thread: The Fighter Revitalized

1. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Fighter Revitalized [D&D 3.5]

Updated OP:
    -Changed Disciplined Soldier to dodge bonus to AC
    -Changed the wording in Master of Many styles, hopefully making it more clear.
    -Added Warmaster as suggested by Dienekes as a capstone (Considering adding Battlefield Mobility to the things you can do as a free action 1/round with Warmaster, for extra awesome. Not sure yet).

To-Do:
    -Come up with better name for Disciplined Soldier
    -Consider improving Disciplined Soldier/Warmaster [Edit: DS was also updated to include the ability to act in the surprise round. WM got the ability to move or take an extra attack added to the list. Considering changing it to a flat bonus swift action]
    -Add more ACFs [Updated the wording for some existing ACFs. Starting to edit new ones in now]

Honestly, it kind of is. How about something like "The fighter is an unprecedented master of martial arts and tactics. Once per day, he can take 20 on any Knowledge check made to identify a creature, even if he does not have ranks in that Knowledge skill, and he can't be surprised and always acts in the surprise round."?
    Adding "can't be surprised" seems to fit with the general theme of the ability. Take 20 on a knowledge check seems somewhat out of place.

This is a good fighter fix. My only concern is that there's no out-of-combat stuff built in
    Thanks. While there's not a lot for non-combat built in, sad truth is putting a lot of non-combat stuff to the baseline will cause problems with whatever non-combat thing you think of violating someone's definition of a Fighter. I boosted the skills/skill list, but I think anything much outside of that needs to fall under ACFs (luckily there's a lot of room to trade out stuff for great non-combat capability and still be useful in a fight)

and that the Fighting Styles are written confusingly--I understand what you mean, but it takes some repetition and I think a new player would get confused.
    Let me know what you think of the updated description.

Spelltouched is kinda low-quality. You can abuse it at level 1 with the trapsmith spell list (passive haste, I'm sure there's a way to abuse gaseous form), though it allows lots of fun setups like sanctuary, arcane sight, and babau slime. At high levels, you have permanent polymorph or freedom of movement that refreshes every short rest, which completely and totally outclasses any kind of possible fighter feat ever. Meanwhile, cool-but-ineffective spells (air walk, tongues, invisibility purge, the whole summon monster line) are crappy and fighters feel bad for choosing them. You really want to write a spell list if you're going to stop randomly screwing fighters all over the place.
    I could see restricting which spell list to pick from to avoid things like Trapsmith (say "Pick a Wizard, Cleric, Druid, Bard, Ranger, or Paladin spell"), but I wouldn't be comfortable writing out an extensive spell list to pick from.

The idea is to leave it as open as possible for players to pick things they think would fit. If someone wants Tongues or Invisibility Purge, they can take it. It will take up one of their style feat slots, but that means when it's not useful they have 1-3 other styles to work with. I could see a Fighter with a whole style dedicated to occasionally useful utility buffs. Yeah, players using it excessively could become really strong or screw themselves. I'm not particularly bothered by that.

[Edit2: Updated ACF list. Converted a lot of the stuff from RoC's thread mostly. A couple new additions or twists on stuff from that thread. Will probably get my next major ACF up next, either one to gain access to half-casting (up to 6th level a la bard) or Soulmelding. Both will likely work similar to the Martial Adept progression, trading out a combat style for minor access, and a second one for greater access.]
    Last edited by Seerow; 2014-03-06 at 08:34 PM.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?