Quote Originally Posted by DurkBlanston View Post
Cass took a deep breath and let it out in a puff.

"Perhaps there is another way, but the Priory has shown a willingness to act against its liege with military force when peaceful surrender was offered. I am dubious it will allow nations it feels some perverse right to claim dominion over to turn down its 'generosity' without a fight. I had hoped Tailong would press them while they reeled but I've heard he's met with the Priory's Qzare to discuss terms, I should not see the nation of my father or myself fall under the thumb of a nation of traitors whom I myself raised blade against on vow of honor, even indirectly as a continued vassal to Tailong's crown." Cass said, aware that the Lady Ambryn would pass along his thoughts to Tailong should he not get the chance to speak with the man himself, "And the Kingdom of the Jarrs grows by the year it seems, I would not think the position as vassal to a vassal would fit the Jarrow Crown, nor, I wouldn't think, would having to pledge direct allegiance to a nation that has murdered women and children of the Jarrow royal family."

Cass was aware he was likely speaking far out of turn, and if his father or even younger brother were here they would have stopped him, but the relatively seclusive nature of the dueling arena kept any of his wiser more measured family from stopping his words.
"You ought to be careful," she said. "There are those who would take such talk as treason. You must know there are plenty who agree with you, but few who speak so openly."

Day Three - Evening

The Jarrland demonstration event at the last Games they had attended had caused a major international incident, so speculation was rife over what they intended this year. It was hoped that at least a similar level of entertainment would be provided.

Those who arrived early saw two of the king's children sitting with a large sheaf of papers, Elwyr frowning and making the odd adjustment and passing them to his sister, who looked increasingly nervous as time wore on, for her opinion, the two of them conferring quietly and sometimes tapping gently on the table. When the appointed hour arrived, Elwyr gathered the papers together in what seemed to be some sort of order and left his sister alone, giving her an encouraging smile.

One of the retainers announced that Princess Eirwynn would now give a reading from the epic poem The King Across the Water, which was shortly to be printed in Jarrland. Although the poem named no real persons, substituting them with titles or pseudonyms, it was soon obvious to those in the know which events it was meant to describe, and it was also clear why Book 3 had been chosen as the reading at the Games.

Eirwynn spoke falteringly at first, but seemed to grow in confidence as she continued.

An extract from Book 3:

"The queen called her council, their cool wisdom and words
To hear, perhaps to heed, for cautious counsel
Would not soothe her spirit. Seldom had it, hence
Wrath, righteous revenge, roared and bellowed in her blood.
Friends, cousins, family: felled, slaughtered in their sleep.
They sloped in slowly, shuffling feet in fear
Who would risk her wrath, who dare to defy?
She, standing, surveyed their sad, miserable mien.

'Justice, gentlemen!' she yelled, 'and ladies
This outrage shall be avenged! This avaricious dog,
He was champion called, cur of infamy
Honoured at our hand! His prizes are preserved,
His loathsome likeness looms large in our city square
A traitor to our trust, this killer of our kin
To be beheld by babes, a bronze mocking model
For our heirs to hold a hero. Here, fellows, we seem fools
To suffer in silence, this sly insult to ignore.'
"