I'm glad you like the look of the skill!

Ocean Travel
This entry specifically refers to small watercraft, personal ones that could be operated by one or two individuals, ones where a single individual could have a significant effect on the direction and speed of the watercraft as a whole. Huge oceangoing canoes that involve many paddlers working together would not use this skill, they would be covered under ships. Ocean travel is rather difficult for a personal watercraft because it's so small and so easily effected by wind, waves, and in particular, currents, which a paddler would have no means to fight against, beyond the strength of their arms. Yes, a large ocean canoe would have little trouble with such waters, but a single-person canoe would be extremely vulnerable out in the deep water.

Canoe Stats
I don't think we need to get all THAT detailed about the specific traits of different kinds of personal watercraft, but I do think we should have some way to differentiate between different kinds of canoe. For example, a kayak, properly laced to the coat, would be able to roll over without spilling or wetting the occupant or any of the cargo. Bull boats aren't very stable, and may spin, but they have a number of other advantages (Now that I mention them, I'm not certain how having a bull-boat attached would affect your ability to canoe). Different materials should also be accounted for, though I think we can break them into 'solid' and 'skin' without going much further than that.
Maybe something like weapon descriptions, with a short paragraph or two describing the traits of a certain watercraft, and a table entry detailing things like length, weight, material, value, and maybe a craft DC? A lot of canoes were made by one person in the course of a few days.