View Single Post

Thread: Warhammer 40K Tactics

1. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tactics

Hmmm.... troubling. My plan with the Repentia was to exploit their 2d6 armor penetration, while running them in behind the Penitents, who, being vehicles, would block LOS. I agree that they are somewhat less than exciting when it comes to chopping up decent melee troops though. I suppose their being infantry makes them a little slow to be tank killers, even if they get the 12" move every turn.

The Inquisitor Lord was my original HQ before I realized I almost had enough girls for a 1500 point army with Celestine (I bought her for the fun painting before I even decided I wanted the army). I figure I will keep them around as an HQ for lower point games, unless I decide to get a Cannoness, which I should given the theme. I honestly am not terribly thrilled with the Inquisitor business, but the game store didn't have much in the way of Sisters blisters, and at buy 2 get 1 60% off, I took what I could make.

With Serephim, can I rely on them as anti-tank troops? The melta grenades seem really slick for ganking tanks in close combat.

The immolator is there because I got it cheap off eBay (along with 3 penitents). Would it be better to remove the flamers and call it a rhino?

I am trying to make a mostly Sister army, admitedly as part of an elaborate joke, but I really want it to actually work. Hopefully without arco flagellents, and without assassins or other more inquisitorial elements. I dig the penitent engines though. Mostly for "Shoot me instead of the freaky-deaky S&M chicks with chainsaw swords" factor.

I intend to get an Exorcist since a little shop here had one (I was an idiot and didn't buy it, only to find the Gamesworkshop store in Philly didn't have one) and I was thinking some ranged support would be a great idea. Would melta guns in the SoB squads be a good stopgap for Retributors or Dominions to get the anti-tank punch? I am nervous about having a dedicated anti-tank unit instead of spreading out the love for fear of having it nuked one way or another, and being reliant on aforementioned chainswords.

Addendum:
    Presuming I am aiming for a 2000 point army (which doesn't seem hard with some of the wargear options) I am considering punting the inquisitor, or at least making him an elite instead of hq, and perhaps putting in a souped up Cannoness (Cloak of Aspira, Blessed Weapon, Holy book) and her retinue of Celestians (figuring on a stronger melee presence.) So that, the Exorcist, and then I start looking at options for anti-tank. I would like 5 more Seraphim for their all around goodness, and a small Retributor unit for punch in an immolator.

Now, to fill out the last few points, does a Vindicare assassin perform as well as it seems to? What about orbital strike? The Vindicare seems decent for killing (1) vehicle, and picking off annoying figures such as Sgts and other men with tricks. The Orbital Bombardment seems like awkward area denial, but at the same time I can see that being useful for forcing units out of cover and off of strong points, as well as choking off convenient avenues of assault. So I suppose my question is, are these two worth the time?

Also, I was looking at the ArcoFlaggelents again, and I do not really see why they are better than Repentia. Two less str, two more toughness, same initative (last) two less leadership (irrelevant) and a special ability that gets them killed when it really works. I must be missing something. Is it the invulnerable save? Always getting an armor save is pretty sweet, but I don't know that it is really too fantasic. Granted, in this case it would keep heavy bolter wounds from being instant kills. I just don't have the experience to know if that is worth it or not. It seems like only heavy weapons are going to blow through 4+ save. Those and plasma. Hmmm.
    Last edited by Wehrkind; 2007-01-10 at 04:55 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Logic Ninja : Oh my god that was beautiful. Man. I... wow. This thread can be locked now, Wehrkind won it. Here
    "We know Elvis is dead for any relevant values of certain." - BWL
    I am now offering conversion to my Church of Stabiclese, Neutral God of Buffing Up and Whacking Things, Regardless of Facing. All those who love either "Buffing Up" or "Whacking Things" and don't particularly care about which direction the target is facing at the time are welcome!