View Single Post

Thread: Call to Brew! [Crossroads]

1. - Top - End - #372
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Call to Brew! [Crossroads]

Spoiler: Feral Pixie (Homunculus hortus ferus)
    Show

A swarm of enormous insect-like creatures emerges from a nearby hollow log, accompanied by a loud, angry buzzing sound. Each of the swarm’s component creatures are vaguely fey in appearance, but with skins which come in mottled earthtones; large, gnashing teeth; and an excessive number of legs.

Feral Pixie Swarm CR 4
    XP 1,200
    CN Tiny Fey (Swarm)
    Init +6; Senses low-light vision; Perception +13

AC 24, touch 19, flat-footed 17; (+5 Natural, +2 Size, +6 Dex, +1 Dodge)
    HP 6d6+24 (45)
    Fort +6, Ref +13, Will +8
    Immune critical hits, flanking, plant traits, swarm traits
    DR 2/cold iron

Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft. (good)
    Melee swarm (1d8)
    Space 10 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
    Special Attacks distraction (DC 17)
    Spell-like Abilities (CL 6th; concentration +6
    • At will – faerie fire
    • 5/day – entangle
    • 3/day – plant growth
    • 1/day – blight

Str 11 (+0), Dex 22 (+6), Con 18 (+4), Int 6 (-2), Wis 16 (+3), Cha 16 (+3)
    Base Atk 6; CMB —; CMD
    Feats Dodge, Lightning Reflexes, Skill Focus (Perception)
    Skills Fly +16, Perception +13, Stealth +23, Sense Motive +5
    Languages none
    SQ plant traits, swarm traits, rash

Plant Traits (Ex)
    Plants are immune to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, morale effects, patterns, and phantasms), paralysis, poison, polymorph, sleep, and stun.

Swarm Traits (Ex)
    As a swarm of Tiny creatures, a feral pixie swarm takes half damage from slashing and piercing weapons, and is immune to critical hits and flanking.

Rash (Ex)
    Contact with a swarm of feral pixies causes a painful rash, and the resulting itch leaves the hapless victim sickened until the damage is healed (as if they had received a slight exposure to poison oak).
    Type poison, contact; Save Fortitude DC 13
    Onset 1 hour
    Effect 1d4 Dex damage, creature sickened until damage is healed; Cure 1 save
    _________
    ECOLOGY

Environment any temperate
    Organization too many
    Treasure none
    Advancement by HD

The wealthy merchants and aristocrats who first introduced garden pixies to the New World intended them only to be simple living ornaments, to remind them of their comfortable manor-houses and gardens in the old country. None had any idea of the sweeping ecological devastation which these foul little creatures would wreak on the ecology of North Vespuccia.

It was the famed adaptability of pixies, cultivated by generations of British gardeners, which made them so disastrously adept at surviving in the New World. They quickly stumbled upon a host-plant whose characteristics would make them highly undesirable to nearly all forms of New World predators: Toxicodendron radicans (commonly known as “poison ivy”).

Like its domesticated ancestor, the feral pixie is also fascinated by fast motion and bright colors, and possess a natural affinity with flora. However, generations of natural selection have produced a creature which is larger, smarter, better-camouflaged, and better able to defend itself and its nest against predators.

After garden pixies began to be imported from the Old World, it was only a matter of time before a few escaped from their masters’ gardens to the wilderness beyond. Once there, they found themselves in a world which was lush with plant-life, offered a plethora of insects to sustain them, and was home to none of their natural predators. Within a few years, colonists noted that the undergrowth in the nearby forests had become thicker and more verdant. Within a few decades, this trend had accelerated noticeably. By the beginning of the present century, the pixie population had exploded, despite valiant efforts by both colonists and Natives to exterminate the creatures. Although burning their nests has been discovered to be one of the few effective methods for their removal, the smoke which feral pixies’ eggs and bodies produce when burned is highly toxic, and can be fatal to nearby humans and wildlife.

A feral pixie stands about 1 foot tall and weighs about 1 pound.

Feral pixies do not speak any languages, though they do laugh frequently.

Combat
    Feral pixies prefer to disorient and entangle their foes before a battle begins, and then rush in to overwhelm them. However, unlike their domesticated cousins, feral pixies are not without a degree of natural cunning, which makes them dangerous to foes who underestimate their intelligence.

Feral pixies are also notorious for blight-ing any plants and trees which are hosts or nesting-grounds to insects and birds which compete with and predate upon them. There have even been reports of feral pixies seeming to intentionally and purposefully destroy nearby human crops, almost as if they understood that humans are the single greatest threat to their existence.

Spoiler: Comments
    Show
    Sorry this took so incredibly long for me to get around to finishing, but I finally did it! Please let me know what you think, and PEACH it soundly.

I arrived at the feral pixie by adding the "dire" template to the original garden pixie swarm, but ignored the part about boosting its size to Medium, because I just wanted to increase its size by a single step but still get the increases to the base creature's ability scores.

The new CR is definitely too high (the base creature was CR 2), but I think that I might have calculated it wrong, since I'm pretty sure that immunity to critical hits and flanking are already covered by "swarm traits". Or would they still count as separate immunities, and it's swarm traits that shouldn't be on the list? It's all terribly confusing, I'm afraid.

Blight might be unnecessary on the list of SLAs, considering how much damage they could probably do on their own just by tearing a plant apart with their bare hands anyway.
    Last edited by SuperDave; 2015-01-04 at 07:04 PM.