View Single Post

Thread: Person_Man’s 5E Rogue Guide

1. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Person_Man’s 5E Rogue Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    And how do you plan to do that? If you build by array or point buy, you can only get up to a 15. Add another +1 or +2 from race, and you're at 16 or 17, and still need two ability score increases to hit 20. You can get a starting 18 plus 2 from race if you roll, but the odds are pretty bad, and you might get totally screwed.
    Sorry, I should have said "with Dexterity as close to 20 as possible" - I've updated the post.

I also added the Skulker Feat. I think its a solid Feat if your DM pays close attention to different types of obscured and illumination. But I personally don't (though I probably should), I usually just say "its dark" or "you're obscured behind the trees." It also slightly overlaps with the Wild Elf Masks of the Wild ability.

RE: Rogue/Barbarian: I really thought it was a good idea too the first time I considered it. But upon further consideration, my current opinion is that there's really not that much synergy there beyond the 1st level AC bonus. Reckless Attack requires melee attacks that use Strength (and makes it a lot easier for enemies to counter attack), and the Rogue wants to make ranged attacks using Dex. Danger Sense semi-overlaps with Evasion and a Rogue won't be failing Dex checks very often anyway. And plenty of other classes offer Extra Attack. (Though the move bonus is nice). Rage is handy, but a Rogue should be avoiding being hit altogether by staying away from counter attacks altogether. If you've decided that you're going Dwarf Str based Rogue/Barbarian because you don't care about high Dex, then yeah, its a workable build. I just don't see it as having any clear benefits over a standard Dex based Rogue.

RE: Rogue/Warlock: As mentioned in my main post, I think its workable if your DM allows Cantrips to apply to Sneak Attack. If the DM doesn't, I'm not really seeing the benefit over a pure Rogue. You can get Disguise Self and other similar spells from Arcane Trickster, and other spells from a Feat. The Devil's Sight/Darkness trick is nifty, but there's a long list of other ways to get Advantage, and using magical Darkness without screwing your allies is tricky.