1. - Top - End - #829
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XXII: I C'Tan Has Cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky S View Post
    Ive only run the batteries with battlecannons and they were quite effective, mind you I play predominately guard so I was just supporting my forces. Do the lascannons have to fire at the closest land target or do they have the skyfire rule? Because two with lascannons would be pretty good anti air.
    Skyfire & interceptor IIRC, so normally, yeah, fire at closest target, but on the turn something comes in, you can intercept, and it's likely to be planes, though they can also put deepstrikers and outflankers nearer to you to force you to shoot at those. But hopefully that just means they've clumped up as targets for my vindicators.

Quote Originally Posted by Drasius View Post
    Got another game lined up for tomorrow, 1500 of TSons and Tzeentch Daemons vs Black Templars. Not quite sure how I'm gonna deal with the Raiders he will undoubtedly have, but given the difference in experience and generalship, I suspect he'd beat me with anything he ran anyway. Will hopefully post up a bat rep tomorrow.
    The bit about pics didn't happen as I left my phone on the cradle charger and only realised once I got to the store 1/2 an hour later.

Still, it was a great game, and I shall attempt to recount it with as much accuracy as possible;

Spoiler: Forces of Tzeentch
    Show

170 - Sorceror, ML3, Terminator armour, Spell familiar, MoT, VotLW

224 - 8x TSons, Melta Bombs - (Sorc goes here)
    247 - 9x TSons, Melta Bombs

170 - Heldrake, Baleflamer

175 - Forgefiend, Hades

95 - Herald of Tzeentch, Disc, ML2

99 - 11x Horrors

69 - 3x Flamers

150 - 6x Screamers

100 - Burning Chariot

Spoiler: Black Templars
    Show

Captain, 2x Claws, Terminator armour
    Chaplain, Terminator armour

12 (?) man crusader squad, Veteran Sarge, Heavy bolter and something else I think, probably melta or flamer.
    16(?) man crusader squad, Veteran Sarge with thunder hammer, melta gun(s?), Land Raider Crusader w/ Multimelta
    6 man Assault Terminators, Land Raider Crusader w/ Multimelta

Spoiler: mission, warlord and powers
    Show

Relic (it's always relic, it's my curse) and Vanguard (also rapidly becomeing my curse), no night fighting.
    He wins set-up, I win deployment and let him go first.

He gets something meh out of the C;SM book, I get -1 enemy reserves and re-roll into the same thing.

Sorc got boon (urgh), mental fortitude Shriek and Hallucinate
    Aspiring Sorc #1 got doombolt (Yay!)
    Aspiring Sorc #2 got Breath of Chaos (meh)

Herald got scriers gaze prescience and The torrent flamer power from Maelific
    Horrors got Sacrifice.

He deploys the Raiders on the line either side of some LOS blocking terrain in his zone, relic is on the bottom floor of a ruin open to him and blocking LOS from my side. Tactical (?) unit in multi level ruins near his deployment edge.

I put the Forgefiend out of LOS of both Raiders behind a firestorm redoubt, the screamers on the line mostly out of LOS, the chariot out of range, TSons #1 and lord behind the roudoubt, the horrors in some forrest and the other TSons in the closest spot they'll fit on the right hand side of the board to try and draw off the crusaders in the crusader 'raider. Flamers and 'Drake into Reserve.

Spoiler: Turn 1
    Show

Black Templars
    He trundles forward and downs a single TSon from squad #1 who I couldn't quite hide with the terminator 'raider and 1 Horror with the crusader's crusader raider and doesn't achieve much else.

Tzeentch
    My forgefiend pops out to target the AT 'Raider and the chariot rushes in to support or flame the contents if I can manage to bring down the 'raider with the forgefiend. Everything else moves up with the TSons #1 and lord staying out of LOS so they can't get charged.

Herald Perils himself getting prescience off on the FF and takes a wound, He denies doombolt on the raider and the horrors pop off sacrifice to generate a herald on a disc who knows ... Possession (!) That's going to be interesting next turn. Herald pops in out of LOS but on the other side of the wall from the relic.

FF daemonforges and gets 3 hull points from 7 hits on the AT 'Raider but can't get the last one with the 4 re-rolls. Chariot misses with his single lascannon shot and there goes any chance I had of stopping his rampage.

Spoiler: Turn 2
    Show

Black Templars
    'Raiders move up and disgorge their cargo. AT raider immobilises the FF with it's Multi Melta, Tactical squad pings a HP off the chariot.

Crusader squad charge the chariot, losing 1 in overwatch from the flamer but killing the Exalted flamer. Termies charge the FF, losing 1 in overwatch but wrecking it in exchange. First Blood to the BT's.

Tzeentch
    Both the flamers and the 'Drake come on. Flamers thread the needle despite scattering 3" in the wrong direction. 'Drake sets up on the bunched up crusader squad. Screamers move up to try and charge the 'raider on 1 HP, TSons #1 move up to do the same. Horrors and TSons #2 continue to foot slog towards the relic. Summoned herald move closer to the relic but remains out of LOS.

Doombolt fails to go off, Torrent flamer from the herald gets denied, remaining 7 dice go into possession on the summoned herald and succeed. The newly promoted Lord of Change doesn't scatter and rolls sacrifice and scriers gaze prescience for his powers.

The 'Drake kills all bar 2 of the crusader lads and fails to wound the pair of termies that snuck under the template. Flamers pop 18 hits and 7 wounds on the termies who save all of them.

Screamers charge the 1 HP 'Raider but despite 3 hits, can't manage even a glance with their melta Jaws. TSons #1 and Sorc fail a 7" charge with a 6.

Spoiler: Turn 3
    Show

Black Templars
    'Raiders shuffle 6" back. 'Raider #2 pings a wound of the LoC, while #1 (The one originally holding the Termies) mow down 5 TSons from squad #1. Shooting takes a wound off the screamers and kills 1 flamer.

Crusaders charge the flamers, making all their overwatch saves. Termies multi charge the screamers and flamers, deleting the flamers before they can strike and taking a wound from the screamers who lose combat and take 2 wounds from instability, killing another screamer.

Tzeentch
    LoC lands and gets into B2B with the relic. TSons and Sorc move towards the 1 HP 'Raider again, TSons squad #2 and Horrors continue to slowly move forwards.

Psychic phase sees doombolt delete 2 terminators, shriek drops 5 crusaders in the ruins, netting my Sorc +1 initiative from the boon table for killing the sarge. Shame he's wielding a force axe... Sacrifice fails to go off on 2 dice and a 2 charge flickering fire fails to go off despite 5 dice.

LoC runs 5" with the relic, getting out of LOS of 'Raider #2, Horrors continue to slog forwards, 'Drake sets up on the tacs in ruins.

'Drake deletes the remainder of the crusader squad in the ruins.

TSons #1 and Sorc charge the 1 HP 'Raider and make it, but fails to even glance with his Melta Bomb, rolling a 3.

Screamers and herald lose combat sufficiently to evaporate and the Termies consolidate towards the TSons and Sorc.

Spoiler: Turn 4
    Show

Black Templars
    'Raiders shuffle 6" back. 'Raider #1 kills 1 more TSon from squad #1.

Crusaders and Termies charge TSons #1 and Sorc, killing the squad before they swing and the Sorc fails 1 armour and 1 invo (rending) and dies before he can swing. There's Warlord to the BT player.

Tzeentch
    LoC Continues to flee with the relic. TSons #2 and Horrors continue to slowly move forwards attempting to get linebreaker. 'Drake goes after the remaining 2 crusaders, but can't get anything in his arc, so must settle for vector striking a terminator, who passes his invo.

Psychic phase sees a 2 warp charge flickering fire denied, sacrifice fail to go off twice.

LoC runs with the relic, Horrors continue to slog forwards. Now it's just running out the clock as there's not much real combat to be had.

Spoiler: Turn 5
    Show

Black Templars
    'Raiders shuffle 6" forwards. 'Raider #1 all the Horrors. Crusaders and Termies move towards the LoC.

Crusaders and Termies run towards the LoC.

Tzeentch
    LoC Continues to flee with the relic. TSons #2 continue to slowly move forwards attempting to get linebreaker. 'Drake decides to go into hover to attempt to get linebreaker.

Psychic phase sees a 2 warp charge flickering fire put some wounds on the 2 remaining characters and give them FNP 6+, sacrifice from the LoC goes off on 1 dice (to avoid perils) and another disk herald is created, but scatters 10" directly away from his deployment zone. FFS!

LoC runs with the relic, Herald Turbo Boosts out of LOS but in position to make it uncontested deep into his deployment zone next turn. 'Drake roasts a termie at extreme range with the flamer. Game ends. GG.

Spoiler: Results
    Show

I've got the relic, he's got 1st blood and warlord, we've both got units in our oppoents DZ, but neither are entirely within, so no-one has linebreaker. 3-2 Win to me, Yay!

But wait! He's Black Templars, so his chapter tactics gives him d3 victory points for slaying the enemy warlord in a challenge! He rolls a 5, getting 3 VP and changing a narrow 2-3 loss into a 5-3 win! Victory to the Emperors Finest this day!

Spoiler: Conclusions
    Show
    Great game all around that was quite enjoyable for both parties. Other than deploying my forgefiend too close, I'm not sure what else I could have really achieved given the list I took and the list I was facing. I'm just lucky that my opponent forgot to use his orbital and that he didn't just deploy on the line, move 6" disembark 6" into B2B with the relic and then remount his 'Raider next turn and drive off into a corner as I wouldn't have really been able to stop him bar getting free with the screamers, and even then I think they would have been beaten down.

Turning a single Horror into a Lord of Change (eventually) was pretty Rad, and it almost won me the game, but alas, it was not to be. I probably should have rolled on Sanctic (and given that I rolled a 6, I would have gotten Vortex) to try and deal with his raiders, but I decided to try for invis and didn't get it, though my trend of rolling high on shriek continues. As usual, the Forgefiend and 'Drake are winners, though without anything to torrent, the chariot was reduced to failing miserably with the lascannon again. I've not managed to stick a single wound with the lascannon so far, and am rapidly thinking that it's not to be "relied" on (insomuch as you can rely on a d3 shot weapon on a BS3 model made out of wet cardboard).

Suggestions on how I could have played would be nice, but without pics, I don't expect any major insights.
    Last edited by Drasius; 2015-02-13 at 08:38 AM.