View Single Post

Thread: Animal Races for Homebrew Setting

1. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Re: Animal Races for Homebrew Setting

Quote Originally Posted by zeek0 View Post
    No worries - I'd like to see your final product in any case. I'll try to pay attention to what you come up with!

As a small note, it is my humble opinion that Darkvision is far too prolific in d&d. Every race gets darkvision except for halflings, dragonborn, and humans. To make it a more unique trait, you may want to only give it to Cats.

And this is something that I just thought of now, but it may be useful to change the names of the races, much like how the Elder Scrolls calls them Khajits. Just a thought.
    Well I have an update, of sorts! It gives a bit more insight into the cultures, without going too in depth. I still need to get that written up... Here are the religions of Agrimal, which I don't know if I said before, is what the world is named. Now, the Precursors were supposed to be vaguely Greco-Roman in culture, so the names of their gods were borrowed (read: entirely cribbed) from the game Hellas, which depicts Greek Myth through the lens of a Space Opera. The names of the Kalydonian gods are just the names of the Signs of the Zodiac in Greek. And the Morrigan gods are Nordic, because Norse Mythology has so many Raven and Crow motifs.

As for Darkvision, Cats for sure need it, and Turtles should have it due to being accustomed to the dark and murky waters. The only other race who has it are Crows, who don't necessarily need it. I could take it from them and distinguish them from Halfings and Gnomes some other way... I'm just not sure what!

Leaving the race names was, however, intentional. One of the sources of this setting is Animal Farm, and the animals there are simply called Pigs and Sheep and such. Something that would make it less confusing is the fact that all members of those species were uplifted into humanoid races. So there are no mundane dogs, cats, horses, etc. left in the world. All of them are people now. So you wouldn't have to worry about: "I ride a horse." "Wait, do you mean a horse, or a Horse?" Because there are no horses!
    Last edited by josienoms; 2015-04-07 at 10:33 AM.