Sieghard

Spoiler
Show
"An investment," Sieghard replied. "A show of faith in my abilities after my actions defending the caravan and on the bridge. Should my men fail to meet the captain's expectations, the weapons and armor can be given to those more worthy."

"Here. This ought to be enough for a cart and horses. All I ask in return is that when you are rich and famous, you remember your good friend Abdul. And what would you say to... a ten percent stake in your fine regiment?"

Sieghard has been expecting something like this. He didn't care for the thought of being indebted to a man a shrewd as Al-Makir. "Your generosity is appreciated, Herr Al-Makir," he said, eyeing the pouch, "But it won't be necessary. We should have funds enough for our current expenses left from the gold taken from the ruins. I will remember your offer if more gold is needed in the future, though."

"When we first returned from the ruins," he continued after a pause, "I recall that you promised each of us a soldier's share of any more gold the captain's men managed to remove from them. Would I be right in guessing that Herr Valdes was successful?" He didn't expect that a "soldier's share" would be anything large, but every crown would help.

Spoiler
Show
Relevant link about the gold from the ruins.

Once this is sorted out, Sieghard also wants to see Barthold's horse.