Quote Originally Posted by Submortimer View Post
He gets to select a trick 50 times? Thirty more times than the veteran, who's major class features ARE his tricks? Holy overboard, batman.
I don't know how you're reading the veteran tricks, but the ascetic gets 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4 which you're right, adds up to 50, and the veteran gets 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, which doesn't add up to 20, but to 60.

No reason they should refresh every round. Let em be 1/day, as this would let them effectively have 32/- DR at level 20, 12 better than the Vet.
A fighter has four attacks in a round. Suppose that a fighter attacks an ascetic four times, dealing 20 damage each time, the ascetic can spend 20 on the first attack and 12 on the second, getting hit for 8 from the second, 20 from the third, and 20 from the forth for a total of 48. The veteran takes zero from the first, zero from the second, zero from the third, and zero from the fourth, for a grand total of zero damage. I feel you're not understanding how the ability works.

Now you're just being silly. I dont really have to tell you why this is just ridiculous, even in a tier 1 game, do I?
OMG GOLEMS OP WOTC PLZ NERF.

A wizard who can't take on a CR 7 encounter by 11th level (when the ascetic gets that ability) should have his wizard license revoked. I mean, Truenamers can get past spell resistance/immunity. At level one.

*sigh*

All that other stuff and now this? I give up.

The veteran is a great idea...it needs to be level gated with its tricks, but its still a good idea.

THIS, on the other hand, makes the veteran about as useful as a literal potato by comparison; It does literally everything the veteran does, only much, much, MUCH better. It is to the vet what the wizard is to the fighter, and i dont think your goal was to make a whole NEW tier system, with the veteran holding the bottom slot.
The ascetic loses access to a few of the veteran's best tricks, doesn't get as many tricks, and can't stomp around in adamantine full plate without wasting most of its build (and losing most of its features) doing that; it also isn't as good at taking hits in general. I wouldn't say they did the same thing.