View Single Post

Thread: Help me make this ability simpler!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Question Help me make this ability simpler!

I debated making a new thread for this or not.. but you don't need to know anything about the class in question to help me out!

The following ability is incredibly wordy, I'd like to make it simpler. I'd like to make it take less OOC time as well - if there is something faster than tossing a bunch of saving throws to determine if a creature is effected that'd be nice.

Spoiler: the ability
    Show
    You may choose to have any creature dealt piercing damage by your spikes have one or more such spikes be stuck in them (by partially unfolding, expanding at the tip, etc) unless the creature makes a successful dexterity saving throw.

If the spike is still attached to you (directly, not via a tether), the creature is considered grappled unless it is two or more sizes larger than you, in which case you are considered to be grappled by it. Unlike a normal grapple, the only way to end the grapple is for you to willingly release the creature/disconnect the embedded spike or for your opponent to spend an action making a strength saving throw to remove all embedded spikes (this is even if you are the one considered grappled – the opponent cannot simply choose to release you like it could if it were grappling you normally).

If you are not still (directly) connected to the spike, then no grapple occurs but the embedded spike(s) can only be removed by the creature or someone else helping it making a successful strength saving throw as an action. A successful save removes all embedded spikes.

A creature with one or more embedded spikes takes 2 points of piercing damage at the start of each of their turns. If you have made the twisting spike alteration you may also embed your spikes into damaged objects. Objects do not get a saving throw but do not take additional damage over time like creatures afflicted with embedded spikes do.

Note: There is no difference between having one embedded spike and twenty - a single successful save removes all of them and the damage does not stack. This is mostly to limit the number of saving throws that actually matter – if a creature has a spike in it, don’t waste game time seeing if even more spikes get stuck in it..

A way to not need that note at the end would be nice as well.
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2015-11-12 at 04:15 PM.