View Single Post

Thread: [3.5] The Monk Remixed

1. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] The Monk Remixed

Again, I love this class. I'm going to be using it in a game soon, and the DM running it was playing the class before now as a player.

I noticed one thing (never was an issue for the now-DM, he took Esoteric Weapons Training to use a bow) I'm not sure of. I don't see anywhere that "special monk weapons" are defined. Which count? The original monk tells you in the flurry of blows text: "When using flurry of blows, a monk may attack only with unarmed strikes or with special monk weapons (kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, and siangham)."
    What are special monk weapons for the remix monk? The same? Expanded at all to include more of his simple weapon proficiencies?

EDIT: I'm partly wondering b/c if it's not expanded, isn't the Ki Shot class feature useless without the Esoteric Weapon Training feat? None of the original special monk weapons are ranged.
    Ki Shot (Su): Beginning at 5th level, a monk learns to embrace the tranquility and grace of the perfect shot, and may empower ranged attacks with ki. Once per day, she may ignore range increment penalties with special monk weapons and apply her ki strike to any ranged attacks she makes with special monk weapons for one round. If she has the Stunning Fist feat, she may use this ability additional times per day by expending a use of Stunning Fist for each additional use of Ki Shot.

Spoiler: Design Notes:
    Improving the monk's ranged capabilities. At its basic level, this feature is nothing special, but when combined with Esoteric Weapon Training (longbow), Improved Ki Strike, and Stunning Fist, the monk can deliver formidable ranged attacks.
    Last edited by StreamOfTheSky; 2015-11-20 at 10:53 PM.