1. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Boku No hero Academia I: because it deserves a thread.

So, new chapter.

Spoiler: What a Twist!! c68
    Show

I loved this chapter. Bits of humour that genuinely made me laugh, but accompanied by plot development with some real introduction to the villains, followed by a great cliffhanger to end off with.

I like how all the time we were speculating on some twist on the exam, only to learn it didn't really matter because they were all going to a boot camp anyways. The whole lampshading the expected twist and then coming straight out with it was great.

l find the idea that the villains are following Stain's charismatic appeal and message compelling, it makes them sort of dark mirrors to Midoriya and the Yuuei kids in their admiration for All Might. It's like the groupies that follow serial killers around or the Manson family people - the sort of cult-like attraction these people can actually garner - and put into this context I find it kind of neat. Maybe because this is a world of super-powered people rather than something like Hydra, HIVE, or whatever - this is more the people who kind of disturb you on the darker parts of the Internet message boards, but having the powers of something like King's Carrie White. In that you can see something like it happening inevitably...I don't know.

Dabi has a cool macabre look to him, and Himiko's fangirl vampiric craziness is endearing. Shigaraki looks cooler without the hand on his face.

Also, on another world-building note that I like, how clothing stores have to accommodate various body-forms with all the Quirk-possessing people in the world. It would have been neat if he went further with that, I'd be curious as to what sort of cultural beauty norms proliferated in this world. None of the characters seem to have body-image issues despite their Quirk, there's no X-Men-esque dilemma "but I'm a monster now, who would love me?" kind of angst to their superpowers... which makes sense, after all they're the majority of the population now.

Lastly, I want a T-Shirt with T-Shirt written on it. Though that might be too hipster, I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2015-11-25 at 08:57 AM.