Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
I believe that making fun of something takes away some of it's power to hurt you so it's probably better to do it while it's "too soon". Sure people might get offended but whatever you do people get offended so that's not a very useful barometer. That's why even though I don't care much for the rest of his career I have a lot of respect for Gilbert Gottfried for having the balls to make his 9/11 joke. More importantly than being a dumb and insensitive joke (which it was) it was a message saying "this horrible thing happened but we're going to be ok".
Very much agreed. In a similar fashion, comedian Anthony Jeselnik has repeatedly gotten into hot water by making a joke on the day of a tragedy. The way he sees it, though, when he does that he's not making fun of the victims: After all, they're not on twitter that day, they've got things to do. As he explains, he's ridiculing the people who feel the need to inject themselves into the discussion of a tragedy with their "thoughts and prayers".