Quote Originally Posted by Donnadogsoth View Post
I think the problem here is that a tragedy is being represented by children's toys. Granted, LEGO, by virtue of its age, has graduated to being adults' toys as well, but still it's largely promoted to, and perceived as chiefly being for, kids. Viewing a tragedy made of LEGO, whether Titanic or Auschwitz or the Twin Towers, comes off as in bad taste because, were children to play with it, or even view it and think of playing with it, they would likely not understand the gravity of what is being depicted. So that's why LEGO tragedy kits are a bad idea, and why this particular model is a bad idea.
And on the other hand... How about that one Titanic animated movie (The Legend of the Titanic) in which a cartoon octopus prevents anyone from dying?

I find that... far more inappropriate on a number of levels (not only due to it, tacitly or not, teaching children the wrong things about actual history, but in molly-coddling of the children as well.) It would be no better if it was a cartoon elephant stopping the Great Fire of London or a cartoon, I dunno, dog stopping anyone dying from [pick a hurricane, tsunami or earthquake], let alone if applied to man-made tragedies (i.e. any terrorist attack). Or a caroon mouse finding a cure for the Black Death.

(The statute of limitations on revisonist history, at least, nevers expires... *looks in direction of Hollywood*)

(Also, if LEGO did a movie et al about the Titanic officially, all evidence points to the fact it would be actually very smartly done.)