View Single Post

Thread: Anti-caster killer creature

1. - Top - End - #0
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: Anti-caster killer creature

If you don't mind officially licensed products, Towers of Sorcery for the Dragonlance setting has a thaumavore (sorta eel-like) but I really like the way they handled the magical draining special ability. I think the save makes sense and that drained levels should return quicker than actual draining as it's not bestowing negative levels. I took the liberty of updating the ability here:

Magebane (Ex): Thaumavores feed on magical energy, much like a rod of absorption. To use this ability, a thaumavore must strike a target . If it succeeds, it deals damage and may drain 1d3 caster levels from the target, or from magic items carried by the target if the target is not an arcane spellcaster. The target is allowed a DC 15 Will save to negate this effect (including trying to prevent an item from being drained). A spellcaster who loses caster levels to a thaumavore’s magic drain loses any prepared spells that he can no longer cast, and his effective caster level for purposes of spells per day, spell variables, and other effects is reduced by the amount drained. Items that are drained similarly lose any level-dependent effects, and if all caster levels are drained the item is rendered inactive. The save DC is Charisma-based. Caster levels drained from spellcasters return at a rate of 1 per hour. For example, a 10th level wizard who is reduced to an effective caster level of 3 by a thaumavore’s magic drain will recover completely in 7 hours. Caster levels drained from items return at a similar rate. A magic item’s qualities, if not level-dependent, are restored as soon as at least 1 hour has passed. A thaumavore can drain no more than double its HD in caster levels in total per day before it is satiated.

Lemme know what you think. My only concern is that the AMF that surrounds the thaumavore would actually interfere with its feeding and draining. I think you might want to reconsider that ability. It should be able to suppress that ability to feed.

As for the changes to the Leimite Swarm, I used the Vermin as a jumping off points, and should have just noted that they are in fact magical beasts. That was my Doh! moment
    Debby

P.S. Thaumavore has 26 skill points to use so its skills are off.

P.P.S. Since you never gave them an ecology I decided to muck about with the design. Here's my comprehensive version of the thaumavore

Spoiler
    Show

Thaumavore
    Large Magical Beast
    Hit Dice:
    10d10+30 (85 hp)
    Initiative: +0
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 60 ft. (poor)
    Armor Class: 20 (-1 size, +11 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 20
    Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+20
    Attack: Gore +15 melee (2d6+6)
    Full Attack: Gore +15 melee (2d6+6) and 2 claws +10 melee (1d6+3)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Magebane
    Special Qualities: Antimagic Field, Darkvision 60 ft., Low-Light Vision, Magic Sense
    Saves: Fort +10, Ref +7, Will +3
    Abilities: Str 23, Dex 10, Con 17, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 11
    Skills: Intimidate +11, Listen +6, Move Silently+7, Spot +6
    Feats: Alertness, Cleave, Flyby Attack, Power Attack
    Environment: Anywhere there a source of magic, usually temperate plains
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 7
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 11-15 HD (Large); 16-30 HD (Huge)
    Level Adjustment:

Thaumavores are creatures who have grown used to the taste of magi, often growing from the great beasts used to hunt them, into a creature that does nothing but prey on magic-users.

Thaumavores resemble large black-horned black wolves with batlike wings. These nocturnal predators stake out an area of where magic is likely to be used in order to feed. A thaumavore uses it its horn to sense magic and to attack.

They tend to live near places that radiate magic—especially any place with a magical pool where they can drink without any adverse reaction to the environment and still feed off the magical property. They cannot drain a magic pool as the water refreshes constantly. While they are solitary creatures, their territories tend to overlap so that the scarce resources can be shared without conflict and pups can be raised in relative safety.

On rare occasions, thaumavores will form temporary packs to hunt black dragons, who they despise for their water corrupting ability. After a successful kill, thaumavores will feast on dragon flesh until they’ve picked the carcass clean. The skulls of such dragons are often kept as trophies by the thaumavore that dealt the killing blow.

Thaumavores cannot speak but most understand either Common or Sylvan.

Antimagic Field (Ex): A thaumavore constantly radiates an antimagic field; only the area has a 20 foot radius. It can suppress this ability as a free action, which it does when it uses its magebane ability to feed.

Magebane (Ex): Thaumavores feed on magical energy, much like a rod of absorption. To use this ability, a thaumavore must strike a target. If it succeeds, it deals damage and may drain 1d3 caster levels from the target, or from magic items carried by the target if the target is not an arcane spellcaster. The target is allowed a DC 15 Will save to negate this effect (including trying to prevent an item from being drained). A spellcaster who loses caster levels to a thaumavore’s magic drain loses any prepared spells that he can no longer cast, and his effective caster level for purposes of spells per day, spell variables, and other effects is reduced by the amount drained. Items that are drained similarly lose any level-dependent effects, and if all caster levels are drained, the item is rendered inactive. The save DC is Charisma-based. Caster levels drained from spellcasters return at a rate of 1 per hour. For example, a 10th level wizard who is reduced to an effective caster level of 3 by a thaumavore’s magic drain will recover completely in 7 hours. Caster levels drained from items return at a similar rate. A magic item’s qualities, if not level-dependent, are restored as soon as at least 1 hour has passed. A thaumavore can drain no more than double its HD in caster levels in total per day before it is satiated.

Magic Sense (Ex): A thaumavore instinctively knows the location of each magic item, psionic item, spell, power, caster, and manifester within 120 feet, even if the thaumavore doesn't have line of effect to that creature.
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2017-03-12 at 01:59 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread