1. - Top - End - #0
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: Aspect of the Cosmos - for when you want a more mold-able planar entity

Quote Originally Posted by ObliviMancer View Post
    I see what you mean, and I had forgotten that little point of form, but in reality I picked 20 HD because it was a round number as an example for the scaling of ability scores and Special Qualities (ability score scaling mentioned in the DM notes above the main entry)
    To show scaling, this is an example of an Aspect of Air that I came up with based on what you have.

You might want to scale natural armor and deflection bonus as well. Fast healing should probably scale as well (points equal to HD as regeneration).

Note: natural weapons generally do not have improved criticals unless they have the feat for it. Your sample should have 20 rather than 19-20 since it doesn't have improved critical feat. This natural weapon cannot be thrown or used as a ranged weapon (it is a part of the creature and I think this needs to be said for DMs that don't necessarily grasp what that means).

Spell resistance should scale as well. It appears yours is HD +13.

Domain Resistance Lightning should be Resistance Electricity. You should note a minimum of 1 since it is half hit dice.

Domain Regeneration should also reflect minimum 1. I don't think these need to be changed to fast healing for low levels.

Outsiders have 8 + Int modifier skills plus x4 at first level so this 32 skill points to play with.

Since this creature only gets 1 domain weapon it can only make 1 wing attack despite having two wings in its natural form. I figured this could be any bird but I decided to make it look like a golden pheasant in its natural form since those are particularly striking birds. See here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_pheasant

Because the domain aura of an aspect of air has special ranges, I spelled them out. It gains the Air Subtype due to its domain. Despite having 2 wings, at 1 hit die, it can only make 1 wing attack.

Adamantine is the preferred use to Adamantium in 3.5. See special materials.

To determine Challenge Rating I often use Vorpal Tribble's CR estimator and got CR 3. However, this has too few HD with Fast Healing 1 to be able to take the kind of damage it can dish out. This is one of the reasons that I'm not fond of creatures whose CR is greater than their HD. I am keeping regeneration 1 to shore up its hit points.

Edit: Criticisms aside, this was a fun little entity to make.

Aspect of Air
    Medium Outsider (Air, Extraplanar)
    Hit Dice: 1d8 (4 hp)
    Initiative: +0
    Speed: 30 ft., fly 60 ft. (perfect)
    Armor Class: 20 (+10 Natural, +10 Deflection), touch 10, flat-footed 20
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+1
    Attack: Wing +1 melee (2d6 plus 1d6 vs. fire and water plus 2d6 vs. earth)
    Full Attack: Wing +1 melee (2d6 plus 1d6 vs. fire and water plus 2d6 vs. earth)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Domain Aspect Weapon (Wing), Domain Spell-Like Abilities (Air)
    Special Qualities: Alternate form, damage reduction 1 (silver or magic), darkvision 60 ft., domain aura (Fly), regeneration 1, resistance, immunity to electricity, mind-affecting effects, poison, and sleep, resistance to cold 1, electricity 1, and fire 1, low-light vision, spell resistance 14, vulnerable to acid
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 11, Dex 10, Con 11, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 11
    Skills: Concentration +3, Escape Artist +2, Gather Information +3, Hide +2, Intimidate +2, Knowledge (the planes) +3, Listen +3, Move Silently +3, Sense Motive +2, Spot +3, Tumble +2, Use Magic Device +2, Use Rope +2
    Feats: Dodge
    Environment: Elemental Plane of Air
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 3
    Treasure: Standard Items, Double Gems
    Alignment: Neutral
    Advancement: 2+ HD (Medium)
    Level Adjustment:

An aspect of air resembles an oversized golden pheasant but can take any mortal form with its Alternate Form ability.

Alternate Form (Su): Aspects of air resemble an oversized golden pheasant with semi-angelic wings. When not in areas of anti-magic, they make take on the appearance of any mortal creature. This does not disable or change their abilities.

Domain Aspect Weapon (Wing): An aspect of air uses its wing as its weapon. It does 2d6 points of damage, may strike in adjacent squares as well as those 10 ft. away, and provides a +4 racial bonus to Sunder attempts. This weapon may not be sundered or disarmed or dispelled. Weapon effects described apply on every hit with the weapon. The aspect of air's weapon overcomes all damage reduction except adamantine, epic, and untyped damage. An aspect of air's weapon is only related as being of its own alignment for the purposes of damage reduction.

Domain Aura (Fly) (Su): An aspect of air has a 20 ft. radius magic aura that grants their allies the ability to fly 30 feet per round (note that allies who fly beyond the range of the aura begin to fall and only stop falling if they fall in the aura's range). The aura may be suppressed or reactivated at will, as a free action. The save is DC 10 and is Charisma based. Note too that allies generally voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept the result. Even a character with a special resistance to magic can suppress this quality.

Domain Damage Reduction: Aspects of air have DR equal to one half of their hit dice, minimum 1, which can only be overcome by something magic and silver.

Domain Resistance: Aspects of air have resistance to Fire, Acid , Cold, and Electricity equal to one half their hit dice (minimum 1), are immune to Poison, Sleep, and Mind Affecting Effects, and have an immunity to Electricity.

Domain Regeneration (Ex): Acid deals normal damage to an aspect of air. Acid, Magic, and Silver overcomes its damage reduction. Lost limbs may be reattached instantly, or regrow on their own in 5 rounds.

Domain Spell-Like Abilities (Sp and Su): As a standard action, an aspect of air can cast obscuring mist 3/day as first level cleric. It also gains the Air Domain and gains the air domain's granted power to turn or destroy earth creatures as a good cleric turns undead and can rebuke, command, or bolster air creatures as an evil cleric rebukes undead. It can use these abilities a total number of times per day equal to 3 + its Charisma modifier. This granted power is a supernatural ability.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2016-06-05 at 10:50 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread