View Single Post

Thread: Initiate feats and archivist

1. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Initiate feats and archivist

I think the key phrase is 'use the cleric spell list' which is not formally defined so you need to fall back on basic English. It seems hard to argue that a Hathran advancing Archivist does not make indirect use of the cleric spell list.

I was curious which combinations are possible so I spent some time looking it up.

A) Classes requiring a patron deity and use the cleric spell list directly or are clerics: Cleric, Contemplative, Favored Soul.
    B) Classes using the cleric spell list directly that are compatible with a patron deity requiring prestige class(*): Archivist, Rainbow Servant, Generic Divine Spellcaster.
    C) Prestige classes requiring a patron deity with an Initiate feat(**) and advancing spell access: Hathran, Arcane Devotee(***), Contemplative, Divine Disciple, Eldritch Disciple, Nightcloak.

So the set of eligible-for-initiate characters have classes drawn from List A, or List B+List C.

(*) Not Mystic, Ur-Priest, or Skypledged Also, not Dread Necromancer since no patron deity requiring prestige classes advance the DNs 'advanced learning' feature.

(**) Not Scion of Tem-et-nu

(***) Advances Arcane casting only but that works via something like Wizard 5/Rainbow Servant 10/Arcane Devotee 5