1. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MitD X: If I told you, you wouldn't believe me

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I really don't know about the eyebrows, but it seems to me that if the MitD sees with them, that would make his eyes visible, because if light goes straight through stuff without stopping that makes the stuff transparent, but if light stops, which it has to do for the MitD to see, that makes whatever stops it opaque, and thus visible.
    You are applying real world physics to a universe in which magic exists. It is pointless to do so, and it does not in any way strengthen your argument. I.e. invisible creatures in D&D are not invisible creatures from H.G. Wells: their eyes do not need to be visible.

That says he did nothing, which I didn't remember. It doesn't say nothing was done to him or near him.
    Yes. It also doesn't say that Zeus came back from the dead and danced a jig to entertain the public while MitD was on display. It also doesn't say any other number of things. What it does say is that he stood there, was gawked at (which requires people to see him) and that worked as a circus act. No mention of paint or smoke or anything that helped people see him - just an empty stage, illuminated. No mention of actions, no evidence at all to support any of your hypothesis. Literally, all you have is a circular argument: you believe MitD is invisible, therefore the circus act required some unseen, unexplained, unreferenced extra to make him visible, therefore MitD is invisible.

It seems to me we have two options, MitD is not drawn because he's invisible, or he's not drawn because that would give clues to what he is. I don't think Mr Berlew is playing that hardball with this secret that he'd hide things to prevent us finding the MitD, because if he is, we can pack up and go home, there is no way we can work it out if what's visible is variable to hide the MitD from us.
    No, he is not drawn because he is surrounded by darkeness that stops us from seeing him. This is the basic nature of MitD's existance, the original joke that Rich had to run with when he created MitD. He has told us as much.

With Xykon, everything is a potential giggles moment.
    [citation needed] I am unconvinced by your statement of fact. Xykon can and often is serious. Nothing in the "this is how you must act when the heroes are here" suggests he is playing a joke, and his disappointment at MitD does not in any way suggests he was doing this for giggles.

I'm not sure about the people seeing him, some probably have magically enhanced vision, some may be mistaken.
    "Some may be mistaken about having seen him"? Seriously? That's your argument? They saw the back of the cage and they thought they had seen MitD? You are seriously scrapping the bottom of the barrel. In any case, like with your circus assertions, you have no evidence that anything of the sort is going on. You are depending exclusively on circular logic to maintain the argument: MitD is invisible, therefore they must have a means to see him, therefore he is invisible. I reject this argument, like I reject your circus argument. You have no evidence, at all, for your position.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    You know what doesn't make sense?

Anything powerful enough to be the MitD would be so dangerous that there's no way a couple of Stereotypical Big Game Hunters would casually say "Good job, let's put it in a box!" even if it was a young one.

I know Rule of Funny applies here, but it just struck me as odd.
    Errr... I think it makes good enough sense. They set up a trap for, say, a tiger. They got MitD instead. They approach carefully, and notice MitD is not escaping. They have a conversation, and still MitD is not escaping. At that point, it is clear he won't (what with his polite requests to be left out rather than smashing his way out). Therefore they might as well run with it and make a profit. Sure, they risk he might change his mind and escape, but it's a risk worth taking, for the money they will get.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2016-07-22 at 08:11 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est