View Single Post

Thread: Path of the Beserker - Rewrite

1. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Path of the Beserker - Rewrite

Quote Originally Posted by TripleD View Post
    Good question.

So I looked to extra damage dice as a way to reflect beserker rage. The Paladin and the Rogue both have the means to add extra damage dice to weapon attacks. With the Paladin it is tied to an expendable resource (spell slots) and the Rogue to positioning and opportunity. The Barbarian's Frenzy is tied to an expendable resource (Rage) but lasts for an entire minute and can be activated whenever the player wishes. I wanted the damage dice to be less than the other two sources to reflect the investment vs reward.

As for why the dice increase? Rogues and Palandins get more bonus damage dice over time. This is to both keep the class relevant (monster HP increases) and to reward players who invest in the class. I wanted Frenzy to follow those same principals.

TL;DR

Rogues and Frenzy Barbarians use bonus damage die to their attacks. The Rogue gets more die to keep it relevant against higher HP monsters and reward player investment, so it seemed sensible for the FB to do the same.
    1. Except that Barbarians also get bonus damage and bonus critical dice. Along with Reckless this stacks way too well and giving three extra features on rage as well as a free rage per short rest makes this the king of damage and among the best tanks.
    2. Rogues add it once to an attack. Paladins only add one dice without using spell slots.
    Last edited by Amnoriath; 2016-07-25 at 11:28 AM.