View Single Post

Thread: How to -- 4th century BCE setting

1. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: How to -- 4th century BCE setting

Quote Originally Posted by Tobtor View Post
    Well the video dosn't show how powerfull the bow is... (in fact it gives no information on any variables)

I found a poster on the webside and it seem to be a 25lb bow.... the arrow is also very big and bulky (thus not for penetration).

The poster have a 60lb bow penetrating 60mm at 25feet and above 30mm at 50feet (for the 11 layer authentic patch, I assume they still use with the bulky arrow).
    They alwso have pictures of (clearly) untrained people 'hitting' the armour with various objects (presumably weapons) on their homepage.

For a experimental archaeologist trial this is really horrible.... Its like something from the 1970'ies.

I'll try to find the videos I saw, I didn't realize that wasn't the same one. (That's what I get for posting from work.)

EDIT -- and either way, what might a good balance between the needs of a game, the needs of a compelling setting, and historical accuracy be on something like the linothorax?
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2016-08-18 at 04:03 PM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.