@Cobaltstarfire
Depends on the teacher really I hope they did.
I have a different story on the matter involving the book Grendel and calling it published fan-fiction with the same quality, and during my senior year I heard the teacher use the same phrase when talking about the book to there class.

I never thought the vampire thing though that is helped in part because; I knew about Vampire bats when I was 7 and how they work

I had a few
-I thought evil witches had to be teachers around 6 to 8 area, or otherwise in a position of power over children. Evil Nurses, bad babysitters, Unreasonable Parents etc.
-I thought it was strange that vampires in movies wouldn't go out into the sun, because Dracula did that in the novel(its super common in a lot of vampire lore they can but with some limitation)
-I thought a elf had to be short(5'2" and shorter), or really tall(6'6" and taller), which I don't know why I just remember I only though of elves as being really small or giant willowy people
-Dwarves had no beards because they need to work on the forge without obstruction
-A curse isn't something that is malicious but is instead always meant to impart a life lesson on the person.