1. - Top - End - #222
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Silly Childhood Misconceptions on Fantasy Elements?

Except science already has answers to that: observational studies. Modeling. Simple observation (separate from observational studies). Thought experiments. Not to mention the existence of unethical scientists who are willing to do it anyway.

Spoiler: Science! Because off-topic
    Show

Actually, though there's four things (that I can think of) that science can't/doesn't do: it doesn't make moral judgments. In D&D, it can tell you whether an act is Good or Evil or Lawful or Chaotic, but it can't tell you whether it's right, wrong, good, or bad (because alignment is something you can observe through any number of methods in D&D). Likewise, it can't tell you whether something is beautiful or unpleasing (because those are entirely subjective measures that vary person by person and isn't a quality of the thing) except for Nymphs in D&D, which science would conclude is supernaturally beautiful because that's an observable effect. Third: science can't tell you what to do with the scientific knowledge, whether you should summon demons or cure curses or fetch water or whatever: it only tells you that it is possible to do those things and how to do them, not whether or not you should do them. Finally, science doesn't draw conclusions about supernatural explanations (but this definition of "supernatural" doesn't match how D&D uses it: in this case, it means "unobservable" or "lacks disprovability"). As an example, in D&D settings, ghosts can be observed so science can determine whether or not they exist and how they work. In many D&D settings, gods can be observed (as well as their effects) so gods don't fall under this category of "supernatural". In D&D, magic and the sources of magic and the effects of magic can be observed and repeated: you can get magic from studying, you can get magic from genetics, you can get magic from gods or demons (which are also observable and their effects can be clearly pointed back to them), you can observe the explosions/cold/wellsprings of willpower/etc and measure their effects so D&D magic isn't considered "supernatural" under science's definition of "supernatural" either. In fact, there's very little in D&D that science would consider "supernatural".

Back on topic...
    Actually, when I was 7 or 8 I thought floating cities really could and did exist (and usually hung out around clouds), so I was surprised when more fantasy books didn't have them or that treated flight as a difficult thing.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2016-09-22 at 01:51 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.