Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
Spoiler
Show
However old he is, that leaves at least 7 years in between Grisha being caught by the Mare government and Grisha showing up outside the walls. That's probably too long for us to assume that there's any way he escaped without being turned into a mindless titan and then gotten Shifter powers later in some complicated plot twist. So if we're assuming that he was actually a mindless titan outside the walls, he has to have eaten somebody to become a Shifter. Since that was 15 years before the attack on the walls, I don't think it's particularly likely that he ate a Mare Shifter. So he probably ate the as-yet-unknown second Shifter from the walls. That said, I would have expected the Reiss family to know who the second Shifter was, that they had died, and that somebody had taken their power, but Rod Reiss specifically said that he didn't know anything about Grisha. So yeah, I have no idea where Grisha got his power.
Spoiler
Show
The funny thing is, it's likely that Grisha has no idea WHO he got the shifter mojo from. Armin and Eren had no recollections of their mindless states. Grisha would only have the lore he got from his time in the Elodian Restoration Movement and knowledge about Titans from Diana, so he probably knew that the transfer happens via cannibalism. The identity of the shifter could be one mystery that Grisha racked his brain about for years and never got an answer. But... there were three journals... so maybe someone was around to clue him in?

Also... if one Titan Shifter eats all the others... does that mean Ymir Fritz is reborn mentally?