1. - Top - End - #579
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XXVII: Tyranids Finally Found A Friend

Battle report time! I remember Drasius wanting to see how the vanguard performed, so here goes nothing. This was the first part of a sort-of narrative campaign

We did a sort of simplified Eternal War mission, with three objectives to claim (one [the warmachine mentioned in the fluff bit below] of which was worth 3 points, while the others were worth one each), the victory conditions from the book, and kill points. The major objective was in the center of the board, while the minor objectives were in the center but closer to the sides of the map.

Spoiler: My List
    Show
    Skitarii Maniple
    150 - Vanguard (x10) with enhanced data tether (EDT) and x3 arc rifles
    120 - Vanguard (x5) with EDT and x2 plasma calivers
    120 - Vanguard (x5) with EDT and x2 plasma calivers
    105 - Vanguarg (x10) with EDT

Lion's Blade Strike Force
    Battle Demi Company
    155 - Company Master Absalom with relic blade, artificer armor, shroud of heroes, combiplasma

130 - Tactical Squad (x5) with meltagun, combimelta, meltabombs and Drop Pod
    130 - Tactical Squad (x5) with meltagun, combimelta, meltabombs and Drop Pod
    130 - Tactical Squad (x5) with plasmagun, combiplasma, Rhino

185 - Assault Squad (x5) with 2x flamers, meltabombs, power weapon, combiplasma, las/plas Razorback

205 - Devastator Squad (x5) with x4 missiles and las/plas Razorback

145 - Dreadnought with heavy flamer and drop pod

Ravenwing Attack Squadron
    65 - Landspeeder with multimelta and heavy bolter
    110 - x2 Attack Bikes with multimeltas

Total: 1750

Spoiler: His list (IIRC, it's been a little bit)
    Show

-Captain with some bling (only relevant bit is that he didn't have Eternal Warrior)
    -An imperial guard platoon with auto cannons and lascannons and two infantry squads
    -Two tactical squads with plasma gun and missile launchers (each one had both a plasma gun and a missile launcher)
    -Two dreadnoughts with las/missile combo
    -A Leman Russ (bog standard)
    -Armoured Sentinel w/ autocannon
    -Devastator squad with two grav cannons
    -Scout squad with snipers and camo cloaks and a missile launcher
    -full scout squad with heavy bolter and combisomething

Spoiler: Battle of Raureif Prime fluff
    Show

<Personal_log/3rdCompanyMasterAbsalom>
    When the Legions of Chaos were beaten back from Raureif five years ago, we had thought their only legacy was death and destruction. We were wrong. Two weeks ago, we began hearing reports of some strange activities on the southern continent of the planet - fanatical preachers, madmen roaming the streets, strange weather, and all manner of worrisome reports. We sent in a tactical squad to investigate. They did not return, and their final message was one of insane ravings about a Pale Dragon. All we could glean from them was the existence of some artifact of Chaos, some great brazen warmachine left behind in the ruins of a bombed manufactorum. I sent back word to Chapter Master Abimelech, but there has been no response. Whatever this thing is, it is a danger to our control of this planet, and the people here are still weak from the depravities of Chaos. I have decided to mobilize my company and our allies, the Skitarii, to seek out this artifact. When it is found we will destroy it. I have also requested help from the Imperial Guard Regiment stationed here, though their commander seemed far too overeager to find the artifact. He will meet us at the site, together with some strange Space Marine chapter just arrived from parts unknown. I am uneasy with this arrangement. I have instructed my men to keep their guard up. Where Chaos is involved, treachery is sure to follow. . .
    <End/Personal_Log/3rdCompanyMasterAbsalom>

Spoiler: Battle of Raureif Prime crunch
    Show

NOTE: I'm not telling the story in perfect sequence in the sense that sometimes I combine the movement and shooting phases in the narrative. It's easier for me to remember it that way. Obviously, the game was played in proper phase order.
    Deployment/First Turn
    The Guard/Marines got to deploy first, and went first. The center part of the map was pretty much all ruins, with the artifact in the center of it. There was only space for vehicles on the sides, so my opponent set up an armored column of sorts with his Leman Russ, Sentinel and one Rhino driving up his right flank. On the left, he sent his scouts, devastators and command squad into one of the ruined buildings to overlook one objective and take potshots at my men. He also sent a Rhino up that way to grab the minor objective on that side. The rest of his forces moved straight up the middle.

I set up my Skitarii in the middle to go get the central objective, sent my Land Speeder/mm bikes up my left to go take out his armored column, and sent my own armored column right to avoid the Leman Russ. Two of my drop pods came down, with one melta squad landing directly behind his dreadnoughts (I aimed for behind his Russ ) and the dreadnought landing a little behind them but close to the guard command squads and the captain. The multimeltas popped one dreadnought and immobilized the other in one fell blow (more than earning their points back), while the dreadnought finished off the wounded dreadnought and heavy flamed the command squad, killing a few and damaging their lascannon team. The storm bolters on the drop pods picked off a few guardsmen as well.

Second Turn
    He quickly moved his Leman Russ up into the ruins, where my remaining drop pod squad wouldn't have much of an impact (pun intended ). He turned most of his army around and unleashed on my suicide squads and . . . . after terrible rolling managed to kill half the meltas, damage one drop pod, and inflict a glancing hit on the dreadnought. Not the best round of shooting. He did keep advancing his Rhinos, though. He used his armored column Rhino as a meatshield against my bike squad, and advanced his other Rhino up to claim a minor objective. His full scout squad kept moving forward towards the major objective, entering a building.

The second drop pod squad failed to come on. My melta squad regrouped, and without much in the way of viable targets they shot the autocannon team directly in front of them, and killed it. The Dreadnought heavy flamed the company master (hitting) and multimelta's him (missing), and put himself in position to charge the next round. My right hand armored column came into range of his objective camping squad, so my las/plas razorback had fun and popped his rhino (destroying it without blowing it up, sadly). When his guys came out, they got hit with the tl plasma gun, which killed a couple. My company master (who had embarked with the assault squad) disembarked behind the Razorback, while the other Razorback and the Rhino moved up and took a couple of poorly aimed potshots, missing. I popped cover on the Razorback, and moved the skitarii up into cover in the initial portion of the ruins, with one of them deviating to claim the other minor objective. My bikes destroyed his rhino, exploding it. His sergeant and a couple other marines were gibbed in the resultant blast. They emergency deployed, further taking a volley of ineffectual bolt shots from the bikes. I used the +1 WS Doctrina Imperativa to give my Vanguard +1 Ld the next round.

Third Turn
    This is where it starts to get fuzzy . . .
    He didn't move much, only consolidating position in most parts and His grav devs finished off the melta squad, while the combined fire of his backfield blew up both drop pods and killed the melta squad but left the dreadnought still standing. His full sized scout squad continued forward, exiting the building and taking cover. They were not yet close enough to claim the objective, but they were there waiting. The Leman Russ moved a little farther into the ruins to better spot my onrushing forces. A lucky shot with the battle cannon rook out one of my vanguard plasma squads, while his tactical squad managed to take out my land speeder. The other tactical squad on the other side shot at my Razorbacks but only managed a glancing hit. His guard started running away from the dreadnought, while his company master moved into position to charge it (bad idea, pal. Dreadnought power fists are at initiative. . . ).

My final melta squad came on, and with nothing better to do (no space by the Russ) they plopped down in the deployment zone next to the grav devastators. A few melta shots later, both grav devs were dead (the rest of the squad was still up, though). The storm bolter killed a couple guardsmen from the command squad inside the building. I moved my initial razorback out of the way, allowing a straight line for my assault squad towards the cover camping tactical squad. The other Razorback and the Rhino moved forwards, setting up good firing position against that poor benighted tactical squad. My remaining skitarii advanced, still camping cover. My multi melta bikes retreated, hiding behind a building next to the objective camping Skitarii squad. The dreadnought charged the captain and instagibbed him. The Razorbacks and Rhino opened fire, killing a good six marines between them. My company master's squad flamed the remaining suckers and threw a grenade, then charged in (overwatch having done exactly nil). The Relic Blade and the power sword did wonders, easily wiping the rest of the squad and claiming the objective for me. Then, unfortunately, the game store closed and we were forced to end the game prematurely.
    Point totals were (for me): Slay the Warlord, Linebreaker, Firstblood, 3 Kill Points, 2 Minor Objective (8 total)
    Point totals for him: 3 Kill Points (3 total)

8-3 victory for the Stormknights, although it was somewhat incomplete. Neither of us claimed the central objective, and the Vangaurd didn't get to do a whole lot (though my opponent knew them well enough to be frightened by them, and took that into account in his tactical decision making).
    Last edited by Bobby Baratheon; 2017-02-02 at 05:23 PM.
    “Stupid entropy ruins everything.”
    -Jennifer Ouellette

My divine portfolio (cred goes to Jormengand):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bobby, the Twist in Time
    Divine Rank: 4
    Deity of: Twisted Truth, Time
    Symbol: A pair of wings made of fossils
    Alignment: True Neutral
    Worshipers: Archaeologists, forgers
    Cleric Alignments: Any neutral