Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
Mmm... and with the format of a video game you could more easily go dynamic with the connections if desired. Have (or provoke) events similar to Britain this last year or the like, that might reroute some links elsewhere.
Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
So is there a difference between economic influence and military presence/control?
Judging by the earlier post it sounds like yes, but I'd say there is an argument to be made in favour of removing the latter to streamline things. Include military operations in an economic context instead of as their own thing, or include a sort of stability tracker along the lines of the 3 conflict levels mentioned earlier (maybe that can spread?).
So I haven't entirely figured out how "economy" works so far. I feel like a game's economy is by far the hardest thing to get right because it there are a vast amount of failure states related to difficulty and builds. I think it's better if I start with my principles, which are related to the others:

- Your economy is the resource that fuels research and international expansion. You have to make tradeoffs between the two.
- Your economy is reliable, static, and not the focus of the game. If you can invest money into making more money in any game, then you might as well get your slide rules out because the math from there is obvious and solveable once you know enough variables. The game should be about positioning, crisises, and the opponent.
- Economy can be interacted with by tech, events and espionage.

In Twilight Struggle the 'economy' in this sense is the cards in your hand and the fact that you can only play one card an AR. I'm thinking something like 'Agents' in the game - skilled dudes you can send places to make new things happen. The obvious places for agents to go are: Your lab, opponent's lab, your controlled country, opponent's controlled country. I still need to work through this idea a bit.

(I played Plague Inc recently and I think the way that plagues move and spread in that game might be an interesting parallel to how technology spreads once it's released to the civilian market.)