Quote Originally Posted by Sergeantbrother View Post
I have all of the sympathy in the world for DM's whose plots get messed up because players do unexpected things - it has happened to me on numerous occations. But that's just part of being a DM and if you can't deal with it you shouldn't be a DM. If the DM said something along the lines of "Oh no, I wasn't expecting that, lets call it a game for tonight so I can come up with some new plans." that would have been perfectly alright.
Yes and that is the mark of an experienced GM one who can see when their plan isn't going well and who can see when he can wing it and when he needs time to plan. Obviously this guy is not among their number. I think that every DM has at least one time that they look back on where they just royally and completely booped up. It's part of the learning curve everybody goes through.
Taking away experience like he did is just boopinine. As is changing somebody's alignment to Chaotic Evil because he defended himself. It looks like he's on an ego trip, to such a degree that I am not sure if he's salvagable as a DM anytime in the near future.
I'm not saying that the DM wasn't completly and totally out of line in his idiotic rulings but Pencils still have erasers correct? The exp amount and alignment can be changed in seconds and if the DM is willing to eat a little crow the charecter can come back just as easily. Their friendship however would need a great deal more effort to revive.
Maybe you could talk to the other players about it and see what they think. They probably share some of your distress over the situation. Maybe if you and the other players confronted him and layed down the law then he just might be able to change his ways.
I think this kind of situation is best handled 1 on 1. If the DM thinks that everybody is ganging up against him he is likely to just go on the defensive and refuse to listen to any of the points about how he screwed up.