1. - Top - End - #150
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    A thought that struck me just before bed: If you have the ability to design or designate downsides to technology, that makes it a powerful counter. However, if you spend a lot of resources exclusively on countering your opponent's tech, that means you're not spending resources on getting ahead. You - and Mr. Johnson, by extension - can't win by sabotage alone.

And a second thought that struck me as I was typing up that first thought: Any advanced research slot you fill is a slot you deny your opponent. Incubating a tech gives you information on what will happen when it's released, but it also reduces the amount of damage your opponent could hypothetically do with it.
    Exactly - but releasing a 100% tested and proven safe technology to market means that Mr. Johnson can just legalize it on his side of the pond as well and coast off all your hard work. Or if you poison the well of a tech then your opponent can just turn around and shove it right back at you.

The real tension in this game is in the information asymmetry. Mr. Johnson abruptly banned solar power - why? What does he know that I don't? I start pushing a purely benign tech really hard - Mr. Johnson bans it until he can figure out wtf is going on, thus losing an edge. You get a note that Mr. Johnson just added a trait to Nanomachines, but you have them military-only and he has them civilian-only - what the hell do you do then?

I described this game as being two men fighting with demolition charges in a massive, crumbling apartment complex. To lure the other guy into your kill zone you might have to stand uncomfortably close to the explosion yourself...
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2017-01-16 at 11:32 PM.
    Roses are red,
    Violets are blue,
    Omae wa mo shinderu