Quote Originally Posted by Amaril View Post
The story of Naruto as we know it is not the story as it "really happened"--it's a mythic retelling, viewed from far in the future of the setting, based on the actions of real people, but greatly distorted by time and dramatic license. This helps explain the insane power level it gets up to (in my mind, the "real" shinobi of the setting have always been far weaker than those we see in the story), and the nonsensical personalities and actions of the characters.
I'd buy that. It'd explain Madara's no selling until he's dumped for the new threat, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
Huh that's right. Outright denial is headcanon.
So, then. There was only two Alien movies. Peter Parker never died in the Ultimate Universe, his marriage is still intact in the normal universe, etc etc.
That's Fanon Discontinuity, a related but different concept.
Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
Oh here's one, Shepherd Book is an ex-Alliance Operative, not the weird backstory he was given in his comic tie in.
That makes way more sense. I can see why Whedon didn't use it.
Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
The Star Wars movies are not an exact depiction of the events therein. They are relayed to us by an unreliable narrator, and that narrator is R2-D2.

R2 may be a droid, but he was programed with creativity in order to find unexpected solutions to mechanical problems. This also makes him a subjective voice. Nevertheless, he is one of the only beings who witnessed firsthand the rise and fall of the Empire. Since we can see in the Force Awakens that records were lost during that time, it's reasonable to assume that at some point R2 was called in to tell the story, and the version we saw was that story.

It explains so many problems. First, it explains why R2 is prominently featured in all six movies. Other important things certainly happened, but R2 wasn't there for that. This is also why R2 is such a badass all the time. He fudges the story and inflates his importance. After all, anyone who could possibly argue with him is dead.

This also serves to explain the shoddy writing vis-a-vis the romance. R2 may have creativity, but he's still a robot incapable of understanding love, so his telling of the two main romances in the series are stale and almost clinical. This also helps explain the inexplicable Padme death. In reality, Padme died of regular complications (after all, there's plenty of evidence that the Star Wars universe has some rather awful medical science). However, after the fact, someone spoke metaphorically that she died of a broken heart, and R2 took that literally, being a robot and all.

It also helps explain C3PO's near-slapstick bumbling. The two are often at each other's throats like argumentative brothers, and this story is R2's passive-aggressive revenge.

Lastly, it explains the midichlorians. The Force is a mystical thing beyond scientific explanation, and as a droid, R2 cannot comprehend it. Perhaps at some point, someone tried to explain it to him as being like extra software that allows further capability, and R2, again, took things literally and decided that Force users must have extra cells or something. The midichlorians are a complete invention by R2 to help him explain the unexplainable.
Of all of these, that make the most sense.
Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
I can't remember my favourite, but the one on top of my head that's basically makes too much sense is that the commonly mentioned theory that James Bond is a code name, used by multiple agents across generations.

Edit: More that I can remember from the top of my head.

In FFXIV, exist beings named primals. They're people's belief given form by the planet's living force. Each of beast races and some other have their own primals, which they consider their gods. Some primals doesn't take form of gods, but legendary heroes from the race's legends, like the moogle's primal which is the legendary first king of the moogle. They're super strong, and most importantly, they're not the actual legendary heroes. They're what the collective think the hero would be. So Primal King Mog's personality is what collectively the moogles thought how he'd act according to legends, Primal Bahamut's personality is more destructive than the actual legendary dragon Bahamut that's dead thousands of years ago, etc. They're usually summoned when the race faces some threats or invasion.

I like the headcanon that the main character, is Eorzea civilized race's collective primal. That's why he appears when the continent faces an apocalyptic threat, super powerful, resistant to other primal's influence, and have vague personality.

Also related, an existing person can transform into a primal. There's this character, Lady Iceheart, who can turn into Shiva and back into Iceheart, using the focused belief of her followers.

That means, in Dragon Ball Super, when Goku collect the surviving Saiyan's ki to turn into Super Saiyan God?

He's Saiyan Primal. Super Saiyan God is Saiyan Race's Primal. The reason why it's hardly ever summoned before, is because Saiyan Race is a bickering race that can never gather enough focused belief to summon a Super Saiyan God. But now that there's a small number of Saiyan Race, and they all are friends, they can summon the primal whenever needed.
Then how do you explain Vegeta going SSG?
Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
Ross never says Rachel's name at the altar. He marries Emily like he should, Rachel ends up with someobe else, they both are happily married, and we don't have another 5 seasons of Ross and Rachel relationship drama.

Or, if you want Ross and Rachel to end up together, they do in season 2, and we avoid EIGHT seasons of drama.

Supernatural ends at the end of season 5.

Community ends at Season 4.
See Fanon discontinuity above.
Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
Since there's been some complaints about the nature of current fan habits, I'll add that in writing knowing what not to say is as important as knowing what to say. The desire to explain everything leads to convoluted nonsense that suppresses the ability of you audience to imagine, and fill in the gaps themselves.

In that vein:

The Kessel run didn't happen. Han tried to bluff an ignorant farm boy and Obi-wan's disbelieving look indicated he's nobodies fool. By the time of Episode 7 Rey is quoting an infamous urban legend. The fact that Rey believes something completely impossible is because that's what otherwise smart people occasionally do with legends in the real world.
I prefer the version where he said the wrong thing and people have been giving him guff about it for decades now.