1. - Top - End - #217
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    I'm working at a very low-level view right now, dealing with the specific implementations of mechanics rather than looking at the whole picture. Could you talk a little bit more about where you see gaps in the design? That would help me contribute to the money discussion.
    The gap I currently see in the design is that there's this concept of output speed which increases the rate at which units spawn, and that interacts positively with the technology interface, but I don't see how technology interacts with countries that just provide bonuses. If a country gives +1 executive speed that's a binary yes or no which means that there isn't really any reason for the technology system to interact with that country. So I'm looking at adding a universal 'currency' generated by holding territory that can always be considered an output and be interacted with by economic modification effects and multipliers.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Aside: You've mentioned specific design Principles for this game a few times in this thread, or at least things similar to them. Principles similar to the Principles for MC-ing in AW; things that dictate what everything in this game should be working to accomplish. You wouldn't happen to have those written down anywhere, would you?

Reason being that I have at least two ideas burning up my brain, and I'm trying to take a Principles-First approach to hashing them out. And some further examples would be super helpful.
    I don't have anything formal written down but here are my key thoughts:
    - People really like sieges. Being the defender against overwhelming force is what makes all kinds of games from Infested Planet to lategame Stellaris to the entire Tower Defense genre fun. I personally really enjoy overlapping defensive arrangements and the calculation of elaborate killzones - I feel like I should get a star fort tattoo.
    - People also really like expansion and beating up against a slightly inferior opponent who still poses a threat. This forms the key gameplay loop of a huge amount of games, from XCOM to Diablo.

As a result my favourite gameplay arc is rapid expansion followed by desperate defense. These two principles are the core part of my balance vision for the game; the early game is the player using their cunning to expand and claim a commanding board position, the late game is putting that position to the test in a desperate last stand defense that, if done right, will eventually exhaust your foe. It's essentially similar to the Warhammer Total War game where you expand to a point where Chaos invades and then stand firm against the end of the world.

Other key concepts are:
    - UI is everything. The UI will make or break this game.
    - I prefer a crisis system (as exemplified by Twilight Struggle) to a grinding deterministic metagame. Also a lot of my tabletop games follow this formulae - we make a plan, we execute the plan, then bad things start to happen and we have to adapt on the fly. This is the logic behind both crisis events and superweapons - these are mechanisms that can create sudden shocking power vacuums that bring back the frantic landgrab feel of early game.
    - There should be a certain mentality associated with playing the game. In Crusader Kings the proper way to play is talking out loud to yourself, bitterly swearing vengeance on the Karlings and setting yourself petty and self-defeating sub-projects. Other games ask for a zenlike state, others for long periods of contemplation followed by a few sharp and crisp decisions. My general theory is that it helps to put yourself in the mindstate you're looking to write for and from.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2017-02-22 at 07:04 PM.
    Some stories are to tell. Some stories are to keep.