1. - Top - End - #225
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Six: Stealing Time

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    A thought on this game design that just came to me. I played around with Amish's initial milestone for a while and the essential thing is moving your piece around the map. But moving that piece space by space has a kind of frustration to it. Not bad frustration, but a feeling of waste if you're moving haphazardly or poorly. Imagine the player of this game when all the rules and pieces are in place. If they do something and then find their executive trapped in central Europe struggling to get to a port to get to South America to ultimately, 3 turns later, do what they'd actually wanted all along, they're going to feel frustrated and dumb. On the other hand, the satisfaction of such a game is planning a strategy that works: that lets each and every move you make feel like you got the most you possibly could out of it and that you wind up exactly where you need to be when you need to be there. In turn, a lot of what's being done here enhances that. We have bonuses for unit movement speed as a major incentive for owning a country. We have the forging of new links to allow for different kinds of movement and creation of new, more efficient paths.

I think that's a core thing we should make sure isn't lost. Random events might be really good, but they should not take the form of rendering 10 turns worth of moving around the map pointless. They should instead necessitate planning out a new, modified strategy based on where you are to be most efficient. Similarly, the psych eval stuff and interactions should not be able to fully render your actions scouring the map moot. There should always be a reason to plan out efficient movements around the world and reward for doing so intelligently.
    That's a good point to keep in mind, until now I hadn't considered just how much time investment moving around the board represents.

Incidentally, while I don't think the game works if people can savescup there absolutely must be a 'reset all moves this turn' button.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    A question: If a Country has adopted a Technology that provides a minus to the Break Link action, does this mean that all Executives attempting to use the Break Link action in that country will suffer a penalty?
    Absolutely. Technology is neutral, it has to be because you can aggressively push bad techs on your enemies.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2017-02-24 at 06:19 PM.
    Roses are red,
    Violets are blue,
    Omae wa mo shinderu