View Single Post

Thread: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

1. - Top - End - #275
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

Q108: A balance question, would it change the balance to have draining casting and Material casting be based around Spell Points instead of every spell cast? (Like you taking 1 nonlethal damage for each Spell point you spend rather than with your at will powers, or spending 1sp per CL per Spell point for material casting. also of note for Destruction mages the original at will blaster mage the Kineticist pretty much had this power in how you could use Gather Energy to reduce burn [or in this case reduce the SP cost to avoid burn])

Healing Nonlethal Damage: You heal nonlethal damage at the rate of 1 hit point per hour per character level. When a spell or ability cures hit point damage, it also removes an equal amount of nonlethal damage.

I realize the disadvantage specifies that you do not heal non-lethal damage through curative/healing magics, but only naturally.

However, at most you're going to have 1 caster level per 1 character level. And if you're a mid-caster or low-caster, then you'll have more character levels then caster levels.

Worse case scenario, you're a full caster with this drawback.

If you have four encounters per day, and sleep for about 8 hours per day... then you're looking at four battles (the assumed average) spread over a 16 hour window.

A character who uses spell-point free Destructive Blasts, and fires dozens of those per day, should not even consider this drawback.
    A character who summons 2-3 Eidolon-like creatures per day, could rather easily handle the drawback and not care about the minimal loss of temporary hit points.

You're basically regenerating 4x your Character Level temporary hit points, between battles if they're evenly spaced.
    If you cast 24 or fewer times per day, you can sustain your magic indefinitely...
    If you regularly cast more than 24 times per day, this is not the drawback for you.

A mid-caster or a low-caster, could cast more than 24 times per day, and sustain (regenerate) the lost temporary hit points easily.
    Last edited by Ualaa; 2017-03-13 at 11:09 PM.
    ~ Ualaa