View Single Post

Thread: Mapping MTG colours to schools

1. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Mapping MTG colours to schools

Quote Originally Posted by CantigThimble View Post
    I'm not talking about combat tricks I'm talking about creature auras. Red has had them as a subtheme in one or two sets, white and green have had them as subthemes in many more. They also have a ton of enchantment lords like Kor Enchantress, Yavimaya Enchantress, Umbra Mystic, Femeref Enchantress, etc. How much mtg have you played?
    the literal Enchantment school and the literal Enchantment card type are completely unrelated. Green Cannot effect the mind like Red and Blue. In fact Green is like modern Neuroscience where it cant differentiate where a Mind begins and an organic CPU ends.

Enchantments are Ongoing spells in MTG. in DnD Enchantments are Mind Affecting spells.

Enchantress is Not green in current color pie nad hasnt been for 4 years.

Anthems do not have a representation in 5E and do not represent actual magical effects

Quote Originally Posted by Durazno View Post
    I think the best way to map D&D spells to MtG colors would be to focus on the fluff.
    Magic the gathering has a mountain of rules tied to mechanical reasoning in terms of effects that are actual magic in terms of what each color does, and the fluff can sometimes be utterly useless, such as Impulse.

If its manipulating the mind, Emotional control is red, Thought control is Blue, Hostility in usage adds black, attempting to undo hostility or protect adds white.

If it creates offense or defensive buffs through magical interdiction, it's white. If it creates magical offensive or defensive buffs through Moral, it's red. If its doing it through biological manipulation, the spell is Green and blue.

If the spell manipulates Water, wind, or weather, it is blue

if it controls Electricity, Fire, or earth, it is red.

If it controls Light, Healing, or earth, it is white.

If the manipulates Acid it is Green, if it manipulates poisons, it is also black.

Information gathering through Extraplanar Powers is White and black

Information gathering through scrying is green and blue.

Conjuration depends on the creatures being summoned. Fey will be Sultai, Angels make it White, Devils black, Demons Red, and many other combinations im not going over just because of what is summoned.

Foresight and Intense time manipulation is blue, while minor time dilation effects, such as haste and expedious retreat, are the territory of red.

Interacting with Good and evil is white and black.

Wish, while mechanically on 10? cards split between all colors, is actually a weird scenario. The effects of Wish can be any color, the very ACT of wishing is Red, assuming its the actual "Last minute, desperate pleading for intervention beyond reason and being rewarded".
    Last edited by toapat; 2017-04-20 at 02:29 PM.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself