View Single Post

Thread: Babylon 5 Group Re-Watch!

1. - Top - End - #53
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Babylon 5 Group Re-Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I don't think so? The Gathering was released in 1993 while the series proper started in 1994, so unless they filmed the pilot and then sat on it for years without releasing it, that doesn't work.
    Huh. Unless they used the movie as an industry pilot (ie to show the execs what this new series is going to be) and only aired it once they were ready to launch the series proper. Or maybe I'm just misremembering and rationalizing. Ah well, maybe I'll have some time this weekend to look into it further.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultron View Post
    It is true that all plots are a bit different then the actual show, but still things that don't make sense, don't make sense just stand alone. It's also interesting to note JMS ( J. Michael Straczynski) created/wrote much of it. So you'd think he would have known ''what is what'', but them maybe he just changed his mind...after all it will only happen like 100 more times during the show...
    Thing is, when he changes his mind, he often goes for something that's the opposite of what he had before:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll have to dig later for a citation, but I believe he's stated that, had she been on the series proper, Takashima would have been in on the whole conspiracy within EarthGov. Instead, we get Ivanova, who is staunchly opposed. When Lyta is replaced by Talia, we go from a ordinary True Believer that the Vorlons make into a super-weapon to an unwilling and distrustful super-weapon that the Vorlons find and intend to bend to their will using reflection, surprise, and terror. When Ivanova turns down running B5 in favor of a shakedown assignment, her replacement, Lochley, was a Clarke loyalist in the war.

So I figure retconning the Vorlons to be non-corporeal might have been something that got changed; then again, even in the Gathering Kosh literally radiates light from inside his suit so who knows?
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2017-04-28 at 03:18 PM.