Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
Freight transport, transport for people who don't trust eldritch portals beyond comprehension, shipping things that make portals unstable, doesn't require much in the way of insane wizard pilots...

I mean, why do we ever ship things by boat nowadays, when we can ship things by plane?
Eh, it's not like you get much less hyperspace exposure from FTL, it's a level one event compared to a level two. Freight transport makes little sense actually, once you factor in surface to orbit and orbit to surface you can probably ferry anything smaller than three yards across through a gateway faster than with a ship (even taking into account the 500 yard inaccuracy at your end point). Most of the annoying limitations can be got around by using paired gateways, but those have their own problems.

For the insane wizard pilots, that makes sense, although the Dragonfly Drive causes manes anyway. I'm not sure there's anything that destabilises a gateway, although I don't have all the resources for the song.

(For the record, I was talking from a setting design perspective, the only drawback given to gateways is a lack of size [fixed three yards or one to five yards in my version, which is the Savage Worlds conversion], why have the FTL drive when ships could produce scaled up technosorcerous gateways? Maybe I'm just too focused on the fact that the game has relatively easy teleportation magic with no range limit)