Quote Originally Posted by Aett_Thorn View Post
That's one of my other reasons for not really liking it that much: it seems very reliant on your party makeup to make good use of it. If you've got a Rogue in your party, Inspiring Surge can be great! If you're the only martial character, it sucks. That feels rather wonky to me. Class features (for the most part) shouldn't be that reliant on party makeup.

Also, compare this to Commander's Strike: "When you take the Attack action on your turn, you can forgo one of your attacks and use a bonus action to direct one of your companions to strike. When you do so, choose a friendly creature who can see or hear you and expend one superiority die.That creature can immediately use its reaction to make one weapon attack, adding the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll."

So at level 10, you get to make one attack, and you give up your second and your bonus action to allow another character to make one attack, and if they hit, they get some added damage to it. Sure, it's not great because of the action economy expense, but you can use this up to four times per short rest at that level, and you'd giving the other person extra damage if they hit. Compare this to the once per short rest Inspiring Surge, and it seems a bit weak.
This is true. I do think the action economy advantage is definitely worth a ton, but it is certainly not strong enough compared to something gotten 7 levels earlier and can be used many times more often.

That being said, I would not want it changed to allow spellcasting, without generally changing how it works, because a spell is far stronger at that level than any one single attack. Definitely would be hard to balance, but I can definitely see expanding this in some way.