Just a quick question, and pretty small compared to...well, the one that started the spiral in the last thread. If someone chooses to come out to me, is it necessarily a problem if my only reaction is to say "Oh, alright." and resume treating them the same way I'd been already?

On one hand, it feels a bit dismissive. I've been hyped up to say something to someone before, and had no idea how to proceed when they had a less-than-dramatic reaction. It sort of deflates the situation, I guess? I wouldn't want them to think I didn't care enough for this potentially-agonised decision to make a difference.

On the other hand, I get the feeling that if somebody's made the decision to come out to me, specifically, they probably know me well enough to know that my reaction would probably be relatively blasé. Not dismissive, but with a tone that says "And this changes what, exactly?". It seems like that sort of reaction, followed by continuing to behave around them in the same way that led then to trust me with this sort of personal information, would be ideal.

This is purely hypothetical, for the record. Nobody I know is about to come out as ______ to me, as far as I'm aware. I'd just like to get some idea of whether my most natural reaction is something many people would be upsetting or not.