View Single Post

Thread: Personal Woes and Advice 5

1. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Personal Woes and Advice 5

Quote Originally Posted by AgentofOdd View Post
    So, I'd like to request some advice.

In my job, one of the things I'm asked to do is basically be a middle man between my co-workers and the outside world since I'm the only one with native fluency in English. Unfortunately, one reason my help may be needed is because the person we need to talk to is so frustrated/angry that communication with them becomes difficult. Emotional people tend to speak quickly and forget to simplify their vocabulary. For better or for worse, this can honestly make me resent my co-workers. Logically helping them is one of my duties, but I'm not fond of other people getting angry/frustrated at me for things that are ultimately not my responsibility.

So, my question is, does anyone have any tips/advise on how to calm oneself and not get too worked up about an unpleasant part of your job?
    Breathing exercises? Trying to anticipate as much as you can in the way of what's going to be said and what may/will trigger the other person in order to be prepared for when it happens?
    Other than that, I'd suggest actually broaching the subject with the other person in question, in an informal setting if it's a single individual, or at the start of the conversation if it's a new person each time... explaining that you know there may be some anger involved from their part, but that you're there just as an inbetween, so if they can please take it into consideration. It might actually defuse at least some of the animosity.
    Last edited by dehro; 2017-09-28 at 06:55 AM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz