View Single Post

Thread: Star Trek Discovery, finally a trailer

1. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Star Trek Discovery, finally a trailer

There have been Klingon-dominated episodes in TNG and DS9, I get without prompting that when they're speaking Klingon to Klingon they're actually conversing in their native tongue to one another - it's a nicety for the sake of the actors and the audience so they can perform well - and I would argue that those episodes would've sucked if they took this approach to them regardless of the strength of the writing otherwise.

They sound like they're literally barking half the time. Klingon's fine when used sparingly but actually doing lengthy dialogue-heavy sequences with it is a pall on what is already fairly underwhelming material here.

This is just my opinion of course, and I get people who want greater verisimilitude than what the quasi-magical Universal Translators and the like do for the series, but practical use of fictional languages in Star Trek should only be employed when they intend to express something significant about communication. Darmok is the most famous and best example, but there have been others. There's no point to it otherwise.

Every time I hear them talk on Discovery my mind just goes wondering.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2017-10-13 at 02:49 AM.