View Single Post

Thread: Dread Necromancer [PEACH]

1. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Post Re: Dread Necromancer [PEACH]

At first glance it seems mostly pretty balanced, the only feature that seems overpowered is aura of terror.
    I would reccomend putting some limitations on aura of terror so that you can only use it an X number of times before you have to rest to use it again. And the fact that once a target fails the save they don't get to remake it causes this to be devastating too. It lasts much too long for them to not be able to remake the saving throw. Aura of terror needs some toning down, or else it will suffer some major abuse.

My main problem with this class though is why would I pick dread necromancer over wizard? They have the same HP, proficiencies (aside from skills), spellcasting modifier, number of spell slots, number of prepared spells, ability score improvements and a relatively similar spell list.

The only advantages of playing a dread necromancer I see are a longer list of skill proficiencies, the ability to change spell selections after a short-rest, and some extremely situational abilities (among the dead, deathly constitution, lichdom).

Most of The archetypes are a little lacking too. The undead lord is kind of bland, it really only improves your capability of controlling and raising the dead, which is the classe's focus anyway so the archetype is kind of redundant. Plague blade is cool, but it relies on you entering melee with an opponent, which is bad considering that they only have a D6 health. Plague touch is the archetype's only useful feature and necrotic rot is cool flavor wise, but in truth, necrotic Rot is really only useful as a way to take care of re-occurring villains, which seems like a lousy way to influence the plot.

The only reason I would play this class is if I wanted to be a soul caster. Their shadow familiar is awesome and shadow form is an amazing addition. Soul caster seems like an interesting and solid choice that I would totally pick. I think it would probably make a better wizard archetype though.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to see if you can make it more different than the wizard? Otherwise, I would never play this class unless I was a soul caster.
    Last edited by Requilac; 2017-10-13 at 08:00 PM.