View Single Post

Thread: Reading Heir to the Empire

1. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Reading Heir to the Empire

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Aren't almost all the Star Destroyers we see in the films and books set after Mk IIs?
    I am almost certain the Chimera is a Mk 1, but I'm at work and can't immediately check. EDIT Just checked and your right, I'm confusing it with the new continuity where it's a class 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatu View Post
    While I agree it's hard to square the effort Thrawn goes to to make the ambush look like a coincidence with his flagship being there, it made a lot less anti-sense back in the day. Prior to the explosion of the EU, Imperial Star Destroyers pretty much WERE the Empire. The Executor was Vader's flagship, and the Death Star(s) were the ultimate symbol of Imperial might, but those were special cases. For everything else, it was just TIE Fighters and Star Destroyers

-H
    Pretty much this, The Empire pretty much had a literal galaxy's worth of material and resources and the main job of its navy was suppressing conflict between planets, policing smugglers and pirates, and other general policing actions since the rebellion lacked anything like a strong or traditional navy. So Star Destroyers are quite literally jack of all trade ships you would send anywhere for anything. Not having it be the flagship itself is a bit much but among his flaws is trouble delegating.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2017-10-20 at 07:51 AM.