Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
I am almost certain the Chimera is a Mk 1, but I'm at work and can't immediately check. EDIT Just checked and your right, I'm confusing it with the new continuity where it's a class 1.

Pretty much this, The Empire pretty much had a literal galaxy's worth of material and resources and the main job of its navy was suppressing conflict between planets, policing smugglers and pirates, and other general policing actions since the rebellion lacked anything like a strong or traditional navy. So Star Destroyers are quite literally jack of all trade ships you would send anywhere for anything. Not having it be the flagship itself is a bit much but among his flaws is trouble delegating.
Which brings up the question seen in another thread: "Can a good person work for an evil organization?"

In the SW universe, this is absolutely true. When you play through TIE Fighter, for example, you'll only see the Empire doing things any government would do (peacekeeping , piracy suppression) and are never asked, directly, to commit a war crime. Seen from the perspective of a TIE pilot, who sees the Rebels primarily fomenting discord (and occasionally using suicidal terrorist tactics) it's quite easy to believe you're on the side of the angels. Even your secret order control applauds you for your valiant service "in the battle of good against evil".

It's not at all easy to see just how vile the Empire is under the surface -- and when something truly awful does happen, like Alderaan, it's very easy for cognitive dissonance to blame Tarkin and not the Emperor. And of course Imperial propaganda is going to do all it can to depict Imperial soldiers as courageous heroes -- literally the white hats -- and Rebels as criminals and terrorists.

This is not at all to say that the Empire is good while the rebellion is evil; it's not. It's just a lot harder to tell the difference when you're actually living in the universe and don't have an opening crawl to tell you who the heroes and the villains are.

Respectfully,

Brian P.