1. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAI+ Question and Discussion Thread IV: [Citation Needed]

Quote Originally Posted by Spanish_Paladin View Post
    Hi everyone!!

I am writing a sci-fi novel (kind of) mostly for fun i know i am not a good writer. The thing is that i want to be very inclusive, i have a couple of male main characters that are developing their relationship in the book and a well established lesbian couple (secondary characters). The problem is that i am worried about my subconscious bias of a heterosexual male (catholic background), my idea is to write them as any other couple but there is circunstances that can affect them, they are living in a hipercapitalistic, homophobic and xenophobic dystopia where they are discriminate and even jailed for their political and sexual orientation (the lesbian couple are political activists and the gay are a pagan terrorist and a scholar reformist). Also i have less problems to write signs of affection between women than men, again my heterosexual bias. Any advice?

I have also a trasgender secondary character, but she (she transitioned from male to female) is from a far more technologically and socially advance country (federation like), my doubt here is that they have the enough genetics and nanotechnology to transform a male body to female (and reverse,) like she was born like that, but i don't know if a trasgender reader will prefer a less perfect transition. She has an informal relationship with one of the male characters (who knows that she transitioned), and at the middle of the book he brokes the relationship becuse he falls in love with the female main character. Perhaps it would better to eliminate the relationship from the beginning because i don't want to give the impression that he drops because she is trasgender. Advice?

If i express something that can seem offensive, please forgive me, it is ignorance or my terrible english. Thanks and love to all :)
    Not what you asked about, and there's probably a good explanation, but . . . a homophobic and xenophobic dystopia that makes genetics and nanotechnology available for people to transition with? That reads as a contradiction to me.

As for whether to keep the broken-off relationship: make that decision in terms of plot, character development and interaction, tensions, etc. Failed relationships happen; if it doesn't have anything to do with the woman's trans-ness, I'd recommend giving the unfaithful guy some internal dialogue to make that clear.
    Last edited by AuthorGirl; 2017-11-22 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Took out a sentence that was detracting from my point.