Quote Originally Posted by Anymage View Post
You don't need to arbitrarily add more characters just to get a properly diverse batch. In fact, on multiple levels, that's a horrible idea. You're better off focusing on a tight, cohesive narrative to start off rather than trying to deeply think out bunches of characters. And given that any halfway decent novel will require a lot of revisions, a lot of editing, and frankly a lot of cutting, all this extra stuff is completely unnecessary.

If the setting takes off you're encouraged to develop characters from all across the diversity spectrum. (Although in many cases it's easier to just declare them for what they are rather than try too hard to find the "right" way to write a gay or trans or whatever character; federation level technology being able to make alterations nearly indistinguishable from being born that way might well be the easiest way to write that character.) But for right now, good writing pointers trump social justice pointers. Focus the main story now, you can broaden the setting with side stories later on down the line.
Oh no, the characters were planned to be like that from the begining, in fact the characters won´t work if they weren´t gay or lesbian or trasgender, this facts are embeded in the narrative.

Thanks for the advices :)

Quote Originally Posted by EternalMelon View Post
Ah, no, I was just unnecessarily harsh on you. I'm sorry for my reaction, I'm sure if you do your best to have the characters be believable and fleshed out things will be fine.

Having reservations about writing affection between two men is alien to me, but I guess just try and write it as you would between two heterosexual people?

As for trans people its.... complicated. Transitioning (and the extent of the Transition) is a very personal and unique experience. There is no one-size-fits-all answer to the extent of transitioning. Some people might find it easier to identify with a character who experiences a more limited degree of transition because it mirrors the readers situation, while others would like the fantasy of the "full"* transition. I feel like as long as the text supports a degree of gender actualization and fluidity you can't fail too hard.

Please take my advice with a grain of salt, as I'm not sure I'm qualified to speak on this subject.

*Sorry, no offense meant here.
I have no conscious or intellectual reservations with affection betwen two men, but i have been raised in a conservative family in a conservative country and there is some subconscious reactions that are hard to eliminate, i keep trying to educate myself tough.

Yeah, perhaps i am being too rigid with labels.

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
Not what you asked about, and there's probably a good explanation, but . . . a homophobic and xenophobic dystopia that makes genetics and nanotechnology available for people to transition with? That reads as a contradiction to me.

As for whether to keep the broken-off relationship: make that decision in terms of plot, character development and interaction, tensions, etc. Failed relationships happen; if it doesn't have anything to do with the woman's trans-ness, I'd recommend giving the unfaithful guy some internal dialogue to make that clear.
No, no, the trasgender character is from another country, like the star trek federation, i said it in the previous phrase... but perhaps i write it wrong.

I love dialogues and monologues and it can work, thanks!