Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Thank you.

Just finished part 3.
Spoiler
Show
I'd been wondering for a while whether saving Kholinar would be the climax of part 3, or of the whole book. The "army through the Oathgate" plan just seemed too tidy and perfect, even with an Unmade or two in the way. I did not call the queen being that thoroughly complicit, though, or Elhokar dying. There have been all those hints of him being a potential Radiant even from book 1, it was a surprise to see that cut short.

In other news, thank you Hoid/Wit, for finally talking some much needed sense at Shallan. Suppressing your memories is not a healthy coping mechanism.

I wondered a bit, when a chapter epigraph revealed that it's the Fourth Ideal that grants Shardplate, whether Kaladin would be getting that at a climactic turnaround moment in the fight to save the city. Still time for that to happen in the counterattack later, though.

I'm really not sure whether Sja-anat is being honest about having switched sides. Her warning in this case was genuine, but that could easily be part of a longer deception plan.
Spoiler: Part 3
Show
Yeah Elhokar's death rocked me more than really anything else in the book besides Eshonai literally being dead in a ditch.

The Epigraph you mention threw me off a bit, because my understanding was Kaladin is at the 3rd ideal as of the end of WoR, and as of that same time Shallan is a step ahead of him. So in theory if the 4th ideal grants Shard Plate, why does Shallan not have it? Or does it vary between orders?

Also yeah Elhokar's wife being bad news we knew. But literally bonding one of the unmade is a level of crazypants I really hadn't anticipated at all.